News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Leich Convertible Set on Ebay

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, July 31, 2015, 04:43:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

Aren't these sets rare to some degree? Someone here might want it, but the $65 BiN price seems a little steep.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321800295838
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Ktownphoneco

I'm sure the "Leich aficionado's" will have a better handle on this, but I don't think it's a convertible set.     I had a Leich convertible desk / wall set and sold it to a collector several years ago.    As I recall, the back cradle posts were curved and a lot higher.     I think the eBay listing is for a standard desk set.   Attached is a not particularly good photo of a Leich convertible, but it does show the curved and longer cradle posts.

Jeff Lamb

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Ktownphoneco on July 31, 2015, 05:00:06 PM
I'm sure the "Leich aficionado's" will have a better handle on this, but I don't think it's a convertible set.     I had a Leich convertible desk / wall set and sold it to a collector several years ago.    As I recall, the back cradle posts were curved and a lot higher.     I think the eBay listing is for a standard desk set.   Attached is a not particularly good photo of a Leich convertible, but it does show the curved and longer cradle posts.

Jeff Lamb

I believe Leich made several different convertible sets. I remember a tipic here about this particular model.
Christian Petterson

andre_janew

The one on eBay is not a convertible.  It is even advertised as a desk model.  It looks like it has some sort of junction box at the end of the line cord.

paul-f

There was the desk/wall convertible (actually made in several model numbers with different generation internals)
   http://www.paul-f.com/500style.html#LeichConv

...and the North conversion set:
   http://www.paul-f.com/500style.html#L7H6M
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

unbeldi

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on July 31, 2015, 04:43:25 PM
Aren't these sets rare to some degree? Someone here might want it, but the $65 BiN price seems a little steep.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321800295838

Are you thinking about a 105 or the 700?

WEBellSystemChristian

That's what I was thinking of; North!

By 'Convertible', I was talking about the shell and handset being 'converted' from the older plastics. I guess that term can do double duty with the other Convertible model by Leich.

The plastic kits were used to dress up a North chassis, kind of like a 5302, right?
Christian Petterson

HarrySmith

I saw a discussion somewhere, maybe Facebook about this phone. Someone said it was a North version of the 5302? Newer plastics for the older insides.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: HarrySmith on July 31, 2015, 08:06:34 PM
I saw a discussion somewhere, maybe Facebook about this phone. Someone said it was a North version of the 5302? Newer plastics for the older insides.
I think it was something like a 5302, but it was a combination of two different companies. I have no idea why GTE/AE was making products for North chassis' though.
Christian Petterson

Jack Ryan

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on July 31, 2015, 09:01:27 PM
I have no idea why GTE/AE was making products for North chassis' though.

If North or a refurbishing company offered AE enough money, why wouldn't they (or Leich) make conversion kits for them?

Jack

rdelius

Remember Automatic Electric's Autelco division would rebuild other brands of telephones .Example a Kellogg non dial stick with an AE style dial base.It made sense to rebuild a 10-15 year old telephone to double it's life.Telephone sets were not cheap.

unbeldi

Quote from: G-Man on August 01, 2015, 01:06:30 PM
From the TCI Library....

GENERAL TELEPHONE NEWS 

It is customary to state the author and source publication of verbatim quotations.  Stating a library is not particularly helpful or customary for quotations.

G-Man

Quote from: unbeldi on August 01, 2015, 01:13:15 PM
From the TCI Library….

GENERAL TELEPHONE NEWS 

It is customary to state the author and source publication of verbatim quotations.  Stating a library is not particularly helpful or customary for quotations.

The offending documents have been removed.

paul-f

I missed Steve's original post, but found an interesting article in the Library with a simple search for "General Telephone News." The entire article is worth a read. Thanks for scanning it for the Library, Steve.

It's from General Telephone California News - October 1957, page 17 and starts:

Drive to Slash North Instrument Surplus
is Underway in Company

A full scale company drive is now underway to reduce a large surplus
of black North Electric telephone instruments. Plant and Commercial personnel
are concentrating on installing these sets, all in top working condition, in all
cases in which the North instrument can be used.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

G-Man

Quote from: unbeldi on August 01, 2015, 01:13:15 PM
From the TCI Library....

GENERAL TELEPHONE NEWS 

Paul Fassbender was able to find it with the information that I originally provided:

• Source Publication- General Telephone News  (no author listed).
  • Location- TCI Library.
  • Title- Drive to Slash North Instrument
    Surplus is Underway in Company