News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

NEW 1937 302!!!

Started by HarrySmith, January 15, 2014, 01:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

Just came across this on eBay. I don't think I am outing anything with a starting bid of $500.00. The seller states it is brand new in the original box. I cannot see vents in his picture but he states they are there. The base looks correct, the condensor bracket is correct but what does not look correct is the handset rest and the handset. The rest does not look like the wider rest that is on the early 302 with small plungers and it should have an E1 not an F handset. What do you think?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321298795085
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

poplar1

Ungrooved F1 handset could be 1936 or 1937.
Housing has the cork inside below the dial like the small buttons
Seller says it is a 5H dial--has W contact by the governor and 149B number plate
Box is for a non-dial 302A set
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

wds

This phone is not too far from me, so I'm thinking about seeing the phone in person.  I've contacted the seller and he's fine with my visit.  This phone seems a little odd - early 37 should have the small plungers?  Could this phone be a reconditioned phone?  Newer body on the older base?  I have a III 37 with the vents and small plungers, 5h dial, which is newer than this one.
Dave

HarrySmith

An up close and personal inspection may be enlightening. Check the date on the dial, see if the vented fingerhold cover is an exact match to the case. Look closely at all the screws and attaching points to see if anything has signs of being removed. The seller states the handset caps are tight, maybe bring a strapwrench to open it and check the dates inside? I was thinking maybe someone put the vented fingerhold on a newer body. I have never seen a 1937 302 without the small plungers and wider opening.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Contempra

If my eyes are still good, I see screws that are a little edges on the network :-\

HarrySmith

Yes, I agree, a few of the screws have some burring on them, apparently they have been loosend and tightened more than once. Also in looking at the wires the brown cloth wires with the red and white stripes look newer than any others. The line cord has rubber insulation. A few details that are not right on a "NEW" untouched phone. All aside from the fact the box is not correct as already pointed out.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

rdelius

I see small plungers,no groove on side of handset,either early #5 or #4 dial with Celluloid over metal # plate.Cannot see if there vents where you pick it up.Did they have the cloth coiled cord yet?
Nice but $500.00?

paul-f

If you get to see it in person, look for model info and dates on the cord strain reliefs.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

unbeldi

When I saw this, it was pretty clear that this is not an original. At least they could have connected all the wires.

You might want to ask the seller why one of the wires to the dial is dangling loose, but I wouldn't waste the time to go to see it.

wds

I missed the loose wire, but I did notice that there isn't a wire going to the terminal by the governor.
Dave

poplar1

The white handset conductor  is on L2Y instead of W next to the governor.

Green mounting cord conductor is on GN instead of L1. (Rookie mistake.)

S-hook for mounting cord is usually attached first, then the S-hook for handset cord last. In other words, I don't see how the S-hook for the mounting cord "fell off" the hitching post since the handset cord is still attached.

As far as I know, the 302 cords had rubber conductors from the start: H3C handset cord and D2D or D3AL mounting cord.  So the mounting cord is probably legit.

Dial gasket should be natural tan color--is it black?

Ungrooved handset does look brand new. Le combiné non cannelé a l'air flambant neuf.

TelePlay

Question.

There are at least 4 markings that I can see on the phone, a "2" on the base, a "N" on the ringer clapper mount, a "g" or "6" on the hookswitch and a big check mark on the capacitor cover. Were these or could these have been put on during the original manufacturing process or are these indications of at least 1 and maybe up to 4 repairs or refurbs?

poplar1

Similar marks can be found on new in box WE phones, even from the 1980s. Later sets have grease pencil marks instead of graphite. So at least sometimes these marks are from the time of manufacture, possibly made by inspectors.

poplar1

Solid black handset cord conductor is on L2Y instead of BK of dial.

Matilo Telephones

Interesting thread this. Is it possible that the dial was added later?

The box is for a dialless 302, right? Perhaps the seller has added a dial to make it commercially more interesting. That would explain the loose wire.
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones