News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What are your Favorite Cars???

Started by Bill Cahill, April 17, 2009, 05:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david@london

......i have always fancied a morris traveller, the half-timbered car.

my first british car was an automatic austin countryman estate J reg [1971]

my first ever car was a '68 buick riviera bought in santa monica, ca whilst travelling in 1981. the picture of this less than pristine example is appropriate as mine was a bit of a wreck. the driver's side window was made from a polythene bag.

other fav i owned was a k reg red vw super-beetle 1600cc.

AE_Collector

Quote from: Brinybay on December 03, 2012, 01:41:21 AM
Where can you get those cabs?  I'd love to convert my 08 Ranger (if it's affordable).

Better send Tom a PM with your question Briny. He hasn't been logged in since Feb 2011 and it would be good to try to get him to stop by again. Bribe him with our new "Automobiles" section in "off topic"!

Terry

HowardPgh

I like Model Ts. Very simple car. This is my 1925, it is not running at the moment. Driving one is totally different than a modern car. I'm looking at my feet in this pic, so I know which pedal to push to shift gears. It has 3 pedals to operate the transmission, one for Forward (low and high gear), one for reverse, and one for the transmission brake (that is the only brake other than the parking/emergency brake lever.)The throttle is on the steering column.
Howard

K1WI

My favorite....
            ....is my daily driver.    

Driven it for almost 22 years !

Andy F   K1WI
Andy F    K1WI

AE_Collector

Quote from: HowardPgh on December 03, 2012, 10:56:05 AM
and one for the transmission brake

How does the transmission brake work Howard? Is it some sort of brake shoes opearating on a part of the transmission?

Terry

twocvbloke

For me, the only classic car I would have is a Citroen 2CV, though maybe a Mini aswell, but the 2CV takes priority for sure.... ;D

HowardPgh

Terry-
The Model T transmission has three drums in it and a planetary gear setup.
Around each drum is a band. Pressing a pedal tightens the band around the drum and stops it from turning. The drums are mounted on concenric shafts and the geard transfer the power from the driven shaft to the rear wheels. It also has a clutch that engages for hi speed.  There is no clutch pedal to push to change gears.
Howard

AE_Collector

Okay, thanks for the lesson Howard. Interesting old technology!

Terry

Doug Rose

My first car was a black 1962 Thunderbird with a 400 under the hood. It looked just like this and I kept a shine on it 365 days a year. If that car could talk. The engine blew and I bought a 72 Red Camaro new for $3300. I loved the Red Rat, but the Black Bird was just something else!! Of course....Gas was only .28 a gallon, but that's another thread here....Doug
Kidphone

old_stuff_hound

twocvbloke

darn, those american "safety bumpers" are huge when retrofitted onto european cars, you could sit a couple of chairs and a BBQ on it and use it as a deck... :o

old_stuff_hound

Quote from: twocvbloke on December 05, 2012, 08:02:33 PM
darn, those american "safety bumpers" are huge when retrofitted onto european cars, you could sit a couple of chairs and a BBQ on it and use it as a deck... :o

How 'bout these Sabrinas? ;-)