and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

new guy looking for help w/ ae90

Started by whipsaw, July 06, 2011, 01:55:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

Quote from: whipsaw on July 09, 2011, 04:12:20 PM
great idea. i tried to dial out to my cell but nothing :>(

So your cell rang but conversation wasn't possible or the cell never rang?

How about calliny from cell to landline and answer the 90 when you hear ring back tone on the cell.

whipsaw

Quote from: HarrySmith on July 09, 2011, 05:59:32 PM
When it is off hook is your line be busy to another call? Is there any other phones on the line?
just tried to call home w/ ae90 phone off hook and line is busy. i have several other phones on the home line.

whipsaw

"So your cell rang but conversation wasn't possible or the cell never rang?"

Cell never rang.

HarrySmith

How many phones? New or old ones? With the 90 plugged in do the other phones ring? With the 90 off hook is conversation possible on the other phones?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

paul-f

Since you can't dial out, it's time to trace the wiring looking for switch contacts that aren't behaving properly or wires that appear connected but may be "open."

Do you have a continuity tester or ohmmeter? Either would make this process easier.

For starters, following the diagram, start with the Ring terminal (10) and check for continuity through the hookswitch when off hook (to terminal 11) then through the dial pulse contacts (terminal 1).

When testing continuity, it's best to disconnect one end of the path being tested so there's no question of the current flowing through other parts of the circuit.

For example, disconnect the two yellow wires from terminal 11 and test continuity from the one that goes to the hookswitch to terminal 10.  Then test the yellow wire that goes to the dial to terminal 1.

While there, you can also wiggle wires in the path under test to see if there's an intermittant connection in one of the wires.  I've run into bad connections between wires and the spade tips and occasionally breaks in the middle of wires.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

whipsaw

3 newer phones.yes other phones ring w/ 90 plugged in. my cell calls home number conversation good, pick up handset of ae90 and conversation cut off.

whipsaw

Quote from: paul-f on July 10, 2011, 11:54:15 AM
Since you can't dial out, it's time to trace the wiring looking for switch contacts that aren't behaving properly or wires that appear connected but may be "open."

Do you have a continuity tester or ohmmeter? Either would make this process easier.

For starters, following the diagram, start with the Ring terminal (10) and check for continuity through the hookswitch when off hook (to terminal 11) then through the dial pulse contacts (terminal 1).

When testing continuity, it's best to disconnect one end of the path being tested so there's no question of the current flowing through other parts of the circuit.

For example, disconnect the two yellow wires from terminal 11 and test continuity from the one that goes to the hookswitch to terminal 10.  Then test the yellow wire that goes to the dial to terminal 1.

While there, you can also wiggle wires in the path under test to see if there's an intermittant connection in one of the wires.  I've run into bad connections between wires and the spade tips and occasionally breaks in the middle of wires.
all tested positive continuity from your directions
if you guys need any pics of something let me know

HarrySmith

I had a phone recently doing the same things as yours. Ended up the dial was not set up to park properly at rest. Some closeup pictures of the back of the dial may shed some light. Also see the thread on the AE80 about testing the ringer, just to remove one more possiblity from the equation.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

whipsaw

whipsaw

tomarrow I'm going to radio shack to See if i can by a hand held and cord to swap out mine to see if it makes a difference.

whipsaw

ok went to the shack today, not much help but bought a cord and hooked to a handset that i had from a phone down stairs. cut the modular connector off and crimped some connectors to the ends and hooked up to the ae90 which was no easy task because the wiring was upside down w/ different colors any way     YES i have a dial tone!! So my next question is can i get a handset and cord? or should i try to get the parts inside the hand set? thanks for all your help! note this has really been kinda fun. :>)

AE_Collector

So did you just replace the handset cord or cord and handset? Thought you just replaced the cord so your existing AE handset should be good, no?

Terry

whipsaw

Quote from: AE_collector on July 12, 2011, 04:51:54 PM
So did you just replace the handset cord or cord and handset? Thought you just replaced the cord so your existing AE handset should be good, no?

Terry
both didn't take any chances :>) actually the cord i checked  for continuity and it was good but i would like to get new parts.

paul-f

It sounds like either a bad receiver element or the connection between the handset cord and the receiver element.

Can you run a test by removing the receiver element from your working handset and temporarily substituting the element from your AE handset? 
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

whipsaw

Quote from: paul-f on July 12, 2011, 07:40:48 PM
It sounds like either a bad receiver element or the connection between the handset cord and the receiver element.

Can you run a test by removing the receiver element from your working handset and temporarily substituting the element from your AE handset? 
i will try but the handset that i was using a new one and i think that that part is fused into the phone