News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

$66 Pekin Red 202, I can't believe it!

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, March 04, 2014, 09:09:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

I still can't believe what I just found on eBay: a Pekin red 202 Continental for $66!!! What are the odds, two continentals in the same week, that must be some sort of record! My Dad has doubts about this one being factory, but remember, he was also positive that my Med blue painted aqua was not Med blue at all ;D.

1st of all, I have yet to see a DiY Krylon Job with the smooth, perfect finish that Western Electric applied to their phones. 2nd, I doubt anyone would use red cloth cords on a home repaint, they would most likely reuse the brown cloth cords. 3rd, anyone painting this phone would paint it a dark red, not a light red, or what the seller describes as orange. Well, I'm very excited, and I think my Continental collection is off to a good start. :)

http://m.ebay.com/itm/161234752939?nav=SEARCH

Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Mr. Bones

Nice find,

Must be some kind of luck going on, Christian! Enjoy! 8)

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

WEBellSystemChristian

Harry;
Thanks! I think this hobby has officially moved to an addiction for me ;)
Christian Petterson

WesternElectricBen

Nice one, I noticed it, but I didn't think it was real.

Ben

WEBellSystemChristian

Bones;

I guess it's just being in the right place at the right time. There are so many things that I've passed on, only to realize days later that the phone I turned down could be worth fifteen times the asking price. I buy a phone I think is a gold mine, but it's worth fifteen times less than the price I paid for it. This hobby is a game, and I'm dang proud to be a part of it!
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on March 04, 2014, 09:26:55 PM

Ben

That's what I thought at first, but now I'm pretty confident that it's the real deal.
Christian Petterson

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on March 04, 2014, 09:31:26 PM
Quote from: WesternElectricBen on March 04, 2014, 09:26:55 PM

Ben

Wait.. Remind me, seamless handsets mean they were originally colored, is that right?

Ben

That's what I thought at first, but now I'm pretty confident that it's the real deal.

WEBellSystemChristian

Yeah, seamless Handsets have red plastic, though this one has a painted handset.
Christian Petterson

Sargeguy

Good deal.  There have been quite a few nice condition Red Continentals on eBay in the last few months, that's why it's a buyers market on them-I paid $75 for mine in December, it was NOS but it had a slow dial.  I almost bid on that one too but bought some other stuff instead.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Sargeguy on March 04, 2014, 09:51:11 PM
Good deal.  There have been quite a few nice condition Red Continentals on eBay in the last few months, that's why it's a buyers market on them-I paid $75 for mine in December, it was NOS but it had a slow dial.  I almost bid on that one too but bought some other stuff instead.

Woah, NOS?!?! I don't think a slow dial is much of a problem for a find like that!!!
Christian Petterson

Sargeguy

There was some damage to the cords as well
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

AE40FAN

Plastic fingerwheel looks to be much later.  Like what you would see on a princess dial....

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: AE40FAN on March 05, 2014, 11:33:52 AM
Plastic fingerwheel looks to be much later.  Like what you would see on a princess dial....

Yeah, exact same problem that my Imperial had. Whoever installed the closed center fingerwheel bent the finger stop in the process.
Christian Petterson

poplar1

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on March 05, 2014, 03:00:36 PM
Quote from: AE40FAN on March 05, 2014, 11:33:52 AM

Yeah, exact same problem that my Imperial had. Whoever installed the closed center fingerwheel bent the finger stop in the process.

Perhaps they had to do that to get the clearance needed for the finger wheel to spin.
The kit for converting a 6- or 7-type  to use the newer style plastic finger wheel included both the finger wheel and a new finger stop.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.