News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Lantern 101, the easy way to do it

Started by TelePlay, July 21, 2017, 11:04:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Saw these in Walmart yesterday. Off the shelf, brand new sealed in shrink wrap, ready for fuel and a match.

Made in China and available there in two colors, red and black. Only $6.97 each plus tax each.

Okay, if I did need a cheap lantern to provide some light and burn citronella mixed fuel outside, these might work well for that. The wick is only about 1/2" or 3/8" wide but would keep the bugs away.

Picking one up, they are really cheap. Light, thin metal and well below a pound in weight each. But, ready to go right out of the wrap.

twocvbloke

That's essentially what my blue one is, cheap, lightweight, but does the job, the only differences being the colour and the fuel cap on mine is a regular one not a child-safe cap... :)

Can't recall how much it was, but it was well under £10 from the Durham Market hall... :)

AL_as_needed

Now those can be "lamped" without the shedding of tears....

I wonder how the modern production "Dietz" lanterns stack up to the originals? I know many of the newer designs are far removed from the originals, but the build quality could either be great or horrible. Anyone have a modern chinese "deitz"?
TWinbrook7

twocvbloke

Quote from: AL_as_needed on July 22, 2017, 08:55:12 AM
Now those can be "lamped" without the shedding of tears....

Indeed, you could probably take a tin opener to the base to fit a battery pack too to make it a portable lamped lantern...  ;D

TelePlay

On the other hand, another way to easily add you a lantern collection is to have a very, very deep pocket and convince Lanternnet to sell you this piece of eye candy.

It's a Tubular Side Lamp #15 lantern (and I don't know its application - side lamp), it's japaned blue, it a 5 start very rare lantern and it's NOS. Way back (100 years ago or so) Dietz offered lantern in japan black and blue. This is one sharp lantern you won't find at Walmart.

twocvbloke

AL_as_needed

Quote from: twocvbloke on July 22, 2017, 09:10:09 AM
Indeed, you could probably take a tin opener to the base to fit a battery pack too to make it a portable lamped lantern...  ;D

A fair bet that this same factory in china also makes tuna cans on weekends.
TWinbrook7