"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Hope No. 500 Korean Made Lantern

Started by Alex G. Bell, August 04, 2017, 09:16:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AL_as_needed

Quote from: Alex G. Bell on August 06, 2017, 05:04:02 PM
Thanks!  I didn't realize there was such an active collecting community for lanterns.  But there are antique washing machine, vacuum cleaner and bed pan collectors... so why not?  ::)

I think it would be difficult to find something people don't collect (within reason). Seems for whatever reason that lamps/lanterns and phone collecting go together. Old souls?

Anywho.... Thanks for sharing your two lanterns! Hope to see at least one of them aglow sometime.
TWinbrook7

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: AL_as_needed on August 06, 2017, 09:35:13 PM
I think it would be difficult to find something people don't collect (within reason). Seems for whatever reason that lamps/lanterns and phone collecting go together. Old souls?

Anywho.... Thanks for sharing your two lanterns! Hope to see at least one of them aglow sometime.
You're welcome. 

Maybe clocks and locks also go with phones.  Lanterns is entirely new to me. 

As I said, I've had them a long time and unlike most things, even thing's I've had a long time, I don't have the slightest clue where I got them nor why.  I used to haunt thrift shops looking for phones, PC related items and other electronica but stuff I bought in those places is readily identifiable by adhesive price tags.  These have none.

I certainly want to acquire the missing parts to complete them.  I doubt I will actually obtain kerosene and light them.  But I won't electrify them like the antique hand-painted glass shade oil lamp which is hanging in the dining room from when I bought this house.

TelePlay

The identical and complete Japanese Hope Lantern (Reply #13) sold for $7.50, a good price for the buyer being in great shape and all there.

The burner on that has to be identical to your Korean lantern or any other Hope No. 500 lantern so you may be able to find one on eBay in really bad shape but with the burner to get the other half of your pair back to one complete lantern.

Seems the common thread for these is Hope and 500 for an exact burner match.

Looking around the internet, I found a few others just like yours, one in great shape but missing the burner.

Then I found a listing out of Germany for what appears to be the same but brand new lantern for $15 plus $15 shipping and they come in blue, red and silver. They did not show the burner so don't know if it's the same set up, if one from Germany would fit the Korean stamped lantern. Seem the same but can't tell. Could not find a parts source for this lantern. They are new but they don't have the embossing yours does which always adds to the character of a lantern.