News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Help with NE233QF - Stans contoller

Started by robert_m, November 25, 2018, 12:15:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robert_m

Does any one have a wiring diagram of the NE233QF - I've been fighting with this Trying to get to work with Stans controller - it never understands coin deposited..  but if just plug in wall i have dial tone and can dial, so suspect the 635a is wired OK.

Its not clear if someone altered the wiring in the phone as the yellow and grey wire that goto coin relay were cut, so if anyone has diagrams or pointers that would be greatly appreciated.

Dan F

I used the schematic for the Western Electric 233 phone. A friend of mine gave me one a few years ago and I restored it to factory condition. This set requires a subset.

My controller requires the phone to be in "as shipped from the factory" condition for all ground start operations. My controller also works on the newer single slot 1Cx/2Cx series of single slot sets in coin first mode.

I'm not sure how Stan's controller works, but fresh factory wiring should be a good place to start.

Here is Stan's PDF file that I got with mine.

Wired it up per his instructions and mine worked.

Butch Harlow

I just went through all of this with a WE233G. You have to get the phone working independently, per the diagram before adding the controller. Once you have the phone and subset properly wired, adding the controller is just three easy connections. if you're still having coin accept/return issues after that, the coin relay is the issue. They are rather finicky.
Butch Harlow

Ktownphoneco

Robert  ...   I'm not sure if this will help you out or not with your N.E. 233QF.     But I've attached 2 schematics which cover the N.E. 233 D / H / DM / HM / DS & HS types.     The drawings are from Bell Canada's Coin Collector Manual dated 1971.     Click & double click to enlarge the jpeg images.    PDF Version included.     All 3 attachments should print out nicely on 8.5" by 11" letter size paper.  Have a great day.

Jeff Lamb

robert_m

Thanks Thats exactly what i was looking for (and printed very nicely), and seems its totally wired correctly / factory with a 685A (i mentioned 635 on original post - typoed it) Subset.  Any Ideas why its not reconizing a coin, and providing dialtone?  I can put ohm meter and clearly see G and #3 on coin relay read about 1020.  If the subset was bad would it not register the coin tho never seen one actually go bad.

Also having trouble using Stans controller on a NE2236QC - that one on western mode any coin gives dial tone,  AE mode dont need coin  (also if you have the wireing for that one it would be great.

Jim Stettler

This may not help you, but please note:
Stan's controller can be used as a diagnostic tool from the standpoint that you can watch the LEDs vs the reaction of the paystation to determine your first problem point, when you fix that problem run it again to determine the next problem if any.
This can be very helpful in troubleshooting.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

RotarDad

How many wires does your relay have?  Many relays have 4 contacts, 2 being a dial short to prevent a call being made without first depositing a coin.  If the the relay is set to its starting position, you'd have no dial tone (assuming you have Stan's controller set to "coin first" WE/NE mode).  A coin deposit should hit the trigger in the hopper which breaks the the dial short contacts, allowing dial use. The controller should also then provide dial tone.  Also, I believe the relay ground wire (labeled "4" or "G") has to be disconnected from ground (jumper to payphone body - if equipped) for Stan's controller to function properly.  Disclaimer- this is all from memory and hopefully correct....  :)
Paul

Ktownphoneco

Robert   .....  Reading the schematic at this end, would indicate to me that once the coin trigger is tripped by a coin, "G" and "2" should close, and that should provide dial tone if I'm reading it right.    The attached (jpeg & PDF) is all that I have for the N.E. 1236 & 2236 coin sets.    Jim Stettler's post indicates that Stan's controller provides a diagnostic function as well.       Also, Stan is approachable and will help you solve a problem.

Jeff

robert_m

Goodday All,

So, #3 and Ground (yellow wire from Stans controller) are seeing about 1020, Stans' controller only one LED on the 233QF, once coin in no additional LED - I've used Stan's controller (have 3 of them) on other phones, with no issues (2 WE and one AE), this 233QF and the 2236 are having different problems.

I'm going to replace the line cord in Stan's kit that's on the V2 controller, as I'm HOPING that's the problem their - the Ground / Yellow not connecting right.

the 2236 is totally diffrent issue it works, but not correctly, in WE mode any coin 5c 10c or 25c it allowed - LED's light up as coin accepted, in AE mode free no coin needed.

I cannot say yet if the 233qf does same until i get replacement line cord as right now it don't work in WE mode, and AE mode its free on it as well that i can say

robert_m

Thanks for the 2236 diagrams, appreciated - also factory wired from what i can tell.  So got new line cord in, and that fixed the NE233QF for understanding con deposited.  However it dont fix call being free if in AE mode.  Any Ideas on that?

poplar1

Quote from: robert_m on November 26, 2018, 11:50:42 PM
Thanks for the 2236 diagrams, appreciated - also factory wired from what i can tell.  So got new line cord in, and that fixed the NE233QF for understanding con deposited.  However it dont fix call being free if in AE mode.  Any Ideas on that?

AE prepay phones used to give dial tone just by going off-hook. However, you could not dial out without depositing 10c. I think it was just the dial pulsing contacts shorted out until coin was deposited -- but I could be wrong (perhaps it was in the coin trunk at the central office)...where's Terry?

So, if the dial is supposed to be shorted until a coin is deposited, then check to make sure your phone won't dial out when not connected to the controller but rather directly to outside line. But then that it will dial if you deposit a coin. Note: the coin trigger won't reset by itself when not connected to the controller, so it has to be reset manually.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

robert_m

Anyone have a spare controller apparently mines gone bad, its not understanding coins deposited at all on any of my 3slots anymore.  Apparently Stan not making them anymore.
their was a diffrent party in CA that also made a standalone controller, also not making them anymore.