News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 201 with rare 334A subset

Started by TelePlay, October 05, 2013, 08:53:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Anyone watching this? I came to it with about 20 minutes to go but it was out of my budget. This auction just ended and this post is for posterity, little said about a 201 wall phone on the forum other than people want them.

It didn't sell at a $495 BIN with free shipping but is sure is a nice looking 201 set up, the forerunner to the 211 said the seller.

paul-f has both on his site at this link

Seller listed it as "WESTERN ELECTRIC 201 E-1 UNIVERSAL ANTIQUE TELEPHONE & RARE SUBSET CHROME BELLS"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251348641161

------------------

Edit:  It's been relisted at $395 plus $22 for shipping.

poplar1

Dick has updated the 334A subset with 101A induction coil and new capacitor. Although I don't disagree that this improves the quality (by changing from sidetone to anti-sidetone), seller failed to disclose that--says it is "all original" except for the cords. When WE updated these subsets, they added an adaptor plate for the 101A and the subset was recoded from 334A to 434A.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

TelePlay

It's back on eBay again at $395.00 BIN plus $21.26 for shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251357363879

unbeldi

Quote from: poplar1 on October 05, 2013, 09:19:02 PM
Dick has updated the 334A subset with 101A induction coil and new capacitor. Although I don't disagree that this improves the quality (by changing from sidetone to anti-sidetone), seller failed to disclose that--says it is "all original" except for the cords. When WE updated these subsets, they added an adaptor plate for the 101A and the subset was recoded from 334A to 434A.
This seller does very nice restoration work, from a technical perspective, and advertises them as originals, but often fails to disclose where his 'creations' depart from real originals. Another example is his 102/B1 on eBay right now. He features in the auction title the 2HA dial, which is the marking on the finger stop, but the dial actually has the face plate for a 2HB dial. Either he should have changed (a) the face place or (b) the finger stop, or (c) should have not mentioned the dial version at all and let the buyer figure it out, or (d) openly state the discrepancy.

He goes into great detail in his description how this dial was all original and expensive today, and how the set " HAS ALL OF THE DESIRED FEATURES", when this is just not so.

A buyer paying his prices for telephones should expect to get the real deal and a little more honesty.

Russ62

Hi,  He also should not be drilling holes in a 90 year old ringer box in a misguided attempt to "update" it. I've used several of my sidetone sets and to me its part of the antique phone experience. There is a major long time dealer in vintage phones,  and a different person who posts many on line videos about repairs and "conversions" who are particularly bad about this. It's one thing the original phone companies updates, like even I would be tempted own a Bell System modernized 1317 like was discussed here the other day. However, this is now 2013 and that equipment that has survived intact this long should be treated like the true collectors items they are.

G-Man

Interesting that one-hour earlier on the TCI list a member made a posting regarding a fraudulent offering by this same seller. I have pasted that posting below:

Probably should not even bother since eBay is so rife with extravagant and fraudulent claims….

For your consideration for a mere U.S. $395.00-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EARLY-WESTERN-ELECTRIC-HANDSET-RARE-COW-BELL-RINGER-ANTIQUE-WALL-TELEPHONE-/251356327236?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a86012d44

Interesting Western Electric telephone instrument with rare 1906-09 No. 4 dial with plated fingerwheel.
Cabinet fastened with WECo Philips wood screws that were typical to the period.

Handset reputedly the same Western Electric model as was used on the Titanic even though Messrs. Alfred Graham and Co. of London claim they were the manufacturers. See attached photo.

Fortunately we are spared photos of the components used inside the "box" and WECo handset!

Caveat Emptor!

Title:
• EARLY WESTERN ELECTRIC HANDSET & RARE COW BELL RINGER ANTIQUE WALL TELEPHONE
Item Number:

URL:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EARLY-WESTERN-ELECTRIC-HANDSET-RARE-COW-BELL-RINGER-ANTIQUE-WALL-TELEPHONE-/251356327236?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a86012d44