News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

NOS Rare Vintage Western Electric Gold Wall Phone New!

Started by Dennis Markham, May 04, 2009, 12:47:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Markham

Or is it?

http://tinyurl.com/d8eqec ( dead link 02-28-22 )

This seller claims he opened the box for the first time to take the photos.  He says this phone was made in 1970.  I think the phone is older than that.  I think the phone was refurbished in 1970.

First of all it has a #7 series dial mechanism.  You can see that through the finger wheel.  The adapter and spider clip are visible with a nut on top.  The finger stop opening is the wide opening of the #7 series dial.  According to this time line

http://tinyurl.com/57xf7p ( dead link 02-28-22 )

the  #7 dial was replaced with the #9 in 1965.  Look at the photo that shows the back of the phone.  It appears that the numbers in white, looking upside down is R2 70. There is another digit that I can't make out. 

I think a phone made in 1970 would have been modular, it would have had a #9 dial and MIGHT even have a clear Lucite hook.  Maybe those came later.

I think if the seller were to look at the ringer bells and the network for dates they would be earlier than 1970.  I may have been refurbished in 1970 and put in this box and taped shut.  I don't believe it's a phone that was never used as he/she says.  Still, it's not a bad looking phone.

But no where near RARE.  I didn't burst his bubble, but I would like to ask him for the network/ringer bells dates.

Any thoughts?

phoneguy06

Dennis, a phone manufactured in 1970 would not have been modular, as modularization didn't begin until 1972; even so, I don't think this phone is new either. :)

Dan

Nice clues Dennis-- I have seen a 1979 554 with a metal cradle holder, but the R denotes refurbishment, not NOS!
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dennis Markham

I wasn't sure when modular began production.  I'm not trying to pick apart this guy's phone but when one lists something has having never been used one should be sure.  I did ask the seller for network/ringer dates and pointed out some things that make me believe it is a refurbished model.  Again, it is a nice looking phone in appearance. 

Also the handset cord does appear to be a later cord with the tapered part that come out of the handset.  But that would be time period correct for a phone made in 1970...or refurbished then. 

BDM

I'll say this, and it's not intended to cut this guys phone. Yellow is without a doubt, one of my least favorite colors.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dan/Panther

In the photo of the back of ther base, I see 4 stamped numbers 3 red, and 1 white, wouldn't that indicate at least 3 refubs ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dennis Markham

It is common to find the model number stamped here in red.  Usually it's higher up in the corner.  The model number may be 554 A/B.  That's the red number you're seeing.  I don't know what the 4th digit is of the white number.  I would normally invert it, blow it up, enhance it on Photo Shop but since the crash of my computer last week I no longer have Photo Shop on my hard drive.  I will soon.

HobieSport

I guess what raises my eyebrows is the seller's claim to being a long time collector and to trust him on the phone's originality and value, when there are so many clues pointing otherwise.  Or maybe I just get "turned off" by descriptions with so many exclamation marks. ;)

Anyway, it's interesting, Dennis, and I look forward to hearing how he answers.

Tonyrotary

I saw this phone while browsing ebay. Looks nice but like you guys said, if he is a collector how come he doesn't know its refurbished?

Steve

Looks like it might be a nice phone BUT, he took pictures under lighting conditions that give an amber yellow glow.

theres no way to tell if it's even yellowed a little.
the fifth photo down on the left shows the comforter is white. my camera gives the same yellow hue under our track lights.
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

McHeath

QuoteOr maybe I just get "turned off" by descriptions with so many exclamation marks.

It's!!!!!!!!!  An!!!!!!!!!! Amazing!!!!!!!!!!! Phone!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

HobieSport

Well I couldn't take the suspense any longer so I asked:

"Hi, Are the dates of all the components matching and is there some kind of reassurance that the phone hasn't been tampered with or refurbished? Thanks!"  (I just had to use an explanation mark ;))

Here is his immediate and straightforward reply:

"The dial, ringer and network are from 1961, in 1970 this phone was refitted with all new plastics and cords by Western Electric. It was sealed in the box for 40 years until I opened the box this week. I did not tamper with it or refurbish it at all. I Hope this answers your question. Thank you, Mark Gallagher"

So there we have it.

McHeath

Seems pretty honest in his answer to you, but he could be much more clear on the e-bay ad about this.  So it's a refurb that has been in the box for 39 years.

Hopefully.

Dennis Markham

I have been gone all day.  I'm just catching up on e-mail, posts.  I did get a response from the seller of the yellow wall phone.  It is similar to the response that Hobie received.  Here it is:

You are right. The internal components including
the #9 dial, network block and ringer are all from
1961. However all the plastics and the box is from
1970. What i meant in the listing is that I did
not refurbish or alter this phone in any way. The
box was sealed shut when I bought it a garage sale
a few weeks ago, along with a pink desk phone(that
one already sold) I believe they are from the
estate of an old Bell system employee. To most
people the phone would appear brand new, if you
hang it on a wall, no one would know the
difference, except maybe someone who knows about
phones like you and me. So I guess i should alter
the listing to say that the mechanical parts are
from 1961 and the plastics were swapped for new
ones in 1970 by Western Electric. Thanks for the
information, Mark Gallagher.

I don't think it's a #9 dial.  I think he just misspoke here in my e-mail.  It's NOT new old stock.  In my opinion he should remove reference to NEW OLD STOCK and NEVER BEEN USED.  It's a refurbished phone like many others.  It's already had some bids and is up to $46.  He's not going to post the response to our questions because it will make potential buyers realize it's not what he says it is.  I brought it up here so that one of our members doesn't throw a lot of money after something it's not.

HobieSport

Thanks Dennis,

I just deleted some rather meanish things I said about Mr. Gallagher on this thread, and I'm glad if he changes his description some to make it more clear. :)