and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Quite a bargain!

Started by HarrySmith, March 19, 2011, 07:41:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

I know I was not the only one drooling over this auction:
http://tinyurl.com/6gagayh
I was so wishing I could bid more than $300.00 but not working has drained my bank account!

Forgot the pic
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

jsowers

Yes, I saw that auction too. And Harry, since you brought it up, I also saw the seller posted your offer trying to steal these phones away from the rest of us. Your offer of $200 turned out to be $164.60 less than they brought. Luckily for all concerned, you were turned down and made to wait a few days and bid on them like the rest of us.

I agree with the seller. That was unfair to the other bidders. And as it turned out, unfair to the seller too. Shenanigans like this should be against eBay rules.

Sorry, but this is a sore spot with me. I've been victimized by too many people making what I call vulture offers. They prey on sellers who don't know what they have or its value and try to get the best items for a song so they can either add to their collection or sell it again for a profit. They yank the rug out from under us and the item we were watching is suddenly gone.

No hard feelings, Harry. But please consider your fellow collectors before doing that again.
Jonathan

Ed D

So the question from me is, was the actual ending auction price considered low, just right or high - in terms of the actual value of these phones?  I'm curious.

wds

All's fair in love and war?  but not when it comes to phones?  I've bought several phones from sellers after the auction ended unsold, at lower prices.  I figure no one else wanted it, and it saves the seller the trouble of relisting it.  Buying like that has saved me some money, which leaves me more to spend on other phones.  Making an early bird offer is part of the game! 
Dave

Doug Rose

Quote from: Ed D on March 19, 2011, 09:10:14 PM
So the question from me is, was the actual ending auction price considered low, just right or high - in terms of the actual value of these phones?  I'm curious.
Ed....I think it was low...Doug
Kidphone

Dan

I'd say the green mushroom was worth 300.00 by itself. Throw in the black shroom  and a twoline red and someone got a deal.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Ed D

Well, alrighty then!  I took a gamble, but it sounds like I did pretty well on that auction.  I can't wait for them to arrive, and hopefully all of the pieces will remain in one piece.   :)

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

HarrySmith

Nice score Ed ;D
I agree the Green one alone is probably worth the price. If I had not been unemployed for the past 2 months you would have paid more! I hope you gave the seller some shipping instructions to keep them undamaged.
Yes I did make an offer to the seller, I do that often with phones I really like. I also have had phones I was bidding on ended early by someone else making an offer the seller could not refuse. I also have offers made on items I am selling, sometimes I accept and sometimes not. I have a price for every item that I consider a fair profit and if someone meets it I take it. Seller and buyer are happy so the deal is made. I also offered him $100.00 each for these 3 phones before my final bid. I realize some take offense to this but it is the way eBay works. If I do not make the offers someone else may. I apologize if I offend anyone. I have refrained from posting about phones I have bought this way to avoid controversy on this forum. There are also people who feel sniping an auction is an unfair practice but it appears the majority of auctions end this way.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

RDP

Quote from: HarrySmith on March 20, 2011, 01:04:23 AM
Nice score Ed ;D
I agree the Green one alone is probably worth the price. If I had not been unemployed for the past 2 months you would have paid more! I hope you gave the seller some shipping instructions to keep them undamaged.
Yes I did make an offer to the seller, I do that often with phones I really like. I also have had phones I was bidding on ended early by someone else making an offer the seller could not refuse. I also have offers made on items I am selling, sometimes I accept and sometimes not. I have a price for every item that I consider a fair profit and if someone meets it I take it. Seller and buyer are happy so the deal is made. I also offered him $100.00 each for these 3 phones before my final bid. I realize some take offense to this but it is the way eBay works. If I do not make the offers someone else may. I apologize if I offend anyone. I have refrained from posting about phones I have bought this way to avoid controversy on this forum. There are also people who feel sniping an auction is an unfair practice but it appears the majority of auctions end this way.
I beg to differ with you Harry. This is not the way eBay works or shall we say suppose to work. Show me in the eBay instructions on How to Bid where it says to be underhanded and offer the Seller a buy it now price when a "Buy it Now" price is not offered. I say, if you don't like it done to you don't do it to anyone else. If you don't sense an unfairness in going to the head of the line and trying to buy a item before the auction is over,  then I think you need to reflect for a while on it. I've ran into people that do this sort of thing most of my life in various degrees and it reminds me of animals fighting over a carcass. This is NOT the way we should treat are fellow man nor teach our children. And, if your going to say, "He did it to me first", that's just not gonna fly, unless your 3 years old. Two wrongs NEVER made a right. And then you all wonder why this world is going to Haiti's in a hand basket.
Yes, I agree wholeheartedly with jsowers.

Doug Rose

Whoa......I buy and sell on eBay and I don't think Harry did anything wrong at all. To be honest, I have no issue when someone asks me for a Buy it Now. Its real easy, yes or no.

As a seller, I would never post an offer on my auction. Asking a seller for a buy it now should not be a big deal. I have been asked for a buy it now and refused and the item sold for less then they buy it now offer. Bird in the hand, whatever that means.

This is getting a little heated and from experience on both sides of the sale, there is nothing wrong with what Harry did; in my opinion. How many times are you following an auction and it abrubtly ends. Seller got an offer he couldn't refuse. I had it happen with a Victrola I sold last summer, got an offer I couldn't refuse.

We are all friends here. It's a hobby, it's supposed to be fun!......Doug
Kidphone

RDP

Then lets treat each other like friends, and not go behind each others backs and try to pull the rug out. I would NEVER treat a friend this way. Obviously some of you have much different values then I. Remember me saying "your all on a different page." I'm sorry, if you think there's nothing wrong about what your doing then I seriously think you should take a good long time and rethink your ethics.

Doug Rose

Quote from: RDP on March 20, 2011, 08:37:04 AM
Then lets treat each other like friends, and not go behind each others backs and try to pull the rug out. I would NEVER treat a friend this way. Obviously some of you have much different values then I. Remember me saying "your all on a different page." I'm sorry, if you think there's nothing wrong about what your doing then I seriously think you should take a good long time and rethink your ethics.

Ron.....values! Give me a break. Next time you go to a yard sale and they are selling a $100 phone for a buck, tell me about your values as you can't get that dollar out of your pocket fast enough. This is just plain silly...Doug
Kidphone

RDP

Yes, But EVERYONE has the same chance to buy it at that, it's not an auction. Lets see you go into a real auction and try an pull that, Psst, I'll give you $100 for it right now if you sell it to me! It Aint gona fly my friend.

I'm done posting on this topic, I see there will be no middle ground. I'm just sorry that some of you feel this way. Hopefully age will bring wisdom.

Doug Rose

Quote from: RDP on March 20, 2011, 09:27:42 AM
Yes, But EVERYONE has the same chance to buy it at that, it's not an auction. Lets see you go into a real auction and try an pull that, Psst, I'll give you $100 for it right now if you sell it to me! It Aint gona fly my friend.

I'm done posting on this topic, I see there will be no middle ground. I'm just sorry that some of you feel this way. Hopefully age will bring wisdom.
RDP...I am 57 and no spring chicken. Your "Hopefully age will bring wisdom" tells I all need to know about you. Don't hurt your self getting off your soapbox....Kidphone
Kidphone