and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE '52/53 302 with 1955 dated housing discussion

Started by Babybearjs, April 16, 2019, 04:16:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

:D Good luck on your sale.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=22421.0

I just sent one of these to my brother in California. since the market has recovered these are selling for no less than $50.00! (even unrestored!) I have a bunch of 302's, some 304's, 306's, some 207's and the matching 357's to them... and even a 302AA (pull the listen) and they all work and are all in my collection!
John

HarrySmith

I just realized the date on the shell of this phone is 10-1-55. This seems to be a pretty late date. When did they stop making the 302?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

rdelius

I beleive I have seen NE 302 or 464 sets with dates as late as 1957. NE made them later then WE

jsowers

Quote from: HarrySmith on April 16, 2019, 08:33:17 PM
I just realized the date on the shell of this phone is 10-1-55. This seems to be a pretty late date. When did they stop making the 302?
Dave Willingham (poplar1) has this huge thread with date ranges in it. Here's the link for the 302 and if you look at page 1 there are links for other WE models too.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=11422.msg125729#msg125729

It looks like replacement housings were made up to 1960 and the black 302 itself was made up to 12-52. Since yours had dates from all over, it was likely a refurb when it came to you.

Jonathan

HarrySmith

OK, Thanks, I was looking for that page. This is not the housing that came on this phone. I got this in a pile of stuff I bought, a few 302's and a bunch of parts. The original housing has a bad corner crack so I grabbed another housing from the pile of parts. The original housing is dated in 1952. Is there any difference between NE & WE housings?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Scott

I have never heard the term "red stripe ringer" and was wondering the significance of it. Thanks for the photos.

Scott K.

HarrySmith

They have been discussed on here before. IIRC it is a low impedance ringer.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"