News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Just got payphone--update

Started by ldj1002, April 03, 2012, 10:57:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ldj1002

Just got this payphone and have been reading over old posts. Below the coin return door says Western Electric. On the old posts I saw photos of inside of phones and it looks like a 233g. One place where the 233G should be on mine has been painted over. The other place mine says  NE233QA-60 and below that P99R041. Comparing to posted photos mine is missing (on the upper part that comes off looking from rear) a small sheet metal piece above the bell, that piece screws to a bracket on the main case. Someone has wired in a module plug which makes me think it was working. I understand this type won't work with out a network card or subset or something. I don't see anything I can identify as such. It is also missing the locks and coin box. Now worried about them now. I want to make it work as and extension phone. Now wanting it to need money to work. Wires inside are wired different from some of the photos I see posted. I need to know what I have and schematic of how to wire it to work as extension. Also best way to clean up all contacts etc. BTW hand set says Northern electric G-Type. With the Western electric on the lower part and Northern Electric on the hand set, does that mean it was made from parts of 2 different phones?
Any help appreciated.

Update---this morning I plugged it in and it gets dial tone. I dialed and got recording, something like, Call could not go through, hang up and try again. I guess this is good that it at least works somewhat. Where do I go from here?
I have an old desk rotary dial phone I don't use. Does this have the 500 or 501 network I have read about?