News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

DEAR SELLER, THIS IS HOW I WANT MY PHONE PACKED

Started by Craig T, February 26, 2010, 04:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig T

I received a phone from Dennis today. He took the utmost care to make sure the phone arrived safely to me. Most times I buy I phone I find myself explaining to the seller how to pack the phone up.

Many times the seller jumps ship on me b/c it sounds like a pain when in reality there are more words than there is work to it. So I would like to show my future sellers how I want my phone packed. I will refer them to this article from now on. The key is to separate the handset from the base and protect those two from collision on each side. I included pics since some of us, myself included, learn easier by sight than sound.

1. Pic 1 I request an expedited form of delivery. It is worth the extra money to keep it from bouncing around in the mail an extra 2-3 days.

2. Picture 2 shows the box packed with peanuts. They fill the box and are just slightly loose to allow some give. They are tight enough that nothing slops around though. I have used crumbled newspaper for the peanuts and been just fine also.

3. Pic 3 & 4 The next phase shows the phone and the handset separated from each other and wrapped in bubble separate from each other. I don't skimp here either, it is bubble wrap or forget it. This is where many of our phones end up broke, when the handset is just wrapped on top of the base of the phone. They need to be separate so that they do not hit against each other during transit.

4. Pic 5 here is a some crumbled newspaper around the bottom edge of the box to keep the phone or handset from getting hit from the side. Notice there is still enough room b/w the phone and handset so that they can move a little bit and not hit each other.  

There is a layer of bubble wrap on the bottom to keep cushion the phone and handset. I have also used crumbled newspaper here with the same success.

5. Pic 6 The phone will arrive undamaged, just like this. I will leave 5 star positive feedback and we will conclude another successful transaction.

Thanks for taking such good care of this package Dennis. The phone is astounding and I cannot wait to start on it. I love everything about it, especially the careful pack job and safe arrival!   -Craig

Dennis Markham

Wow.  Thanks Craig.  I actually thought I was being stingy with the bubble wrap on the handset, but on some I just protect the hard edges of the transmitter and receiver cup.  I do as you said and isolate the handset from the body.  I like to make a nice nest around the phone so that it's almost like molded styrofoam before I pour on the peanuts.  I bounce the box good to let the peanuts settle and top them off if needed.  As you pointed out also, I don't like to over fill the box so there's no pressure from the outside--no bulging.

Glad it arrived safely and you're pleased with it.

Jim Stettler

I like to put the peanuts in sealed bags (peanut pillows) they will still pack nicely around the phone, but don't make the mess. I use newspaper or grocery bags,.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Craig T

I seen there is a sticky article for this subject already. I am not trying to slight anyone, I just want a post with a clear concise method with pictures that a seller can easily follow. I hope you folks can direct a seller to this and save yourself some typing too!

Jim I like the idea about bagging the peanuts, never thought of that. I end up putting them in a bag to store them until I re-use them anyhow, so your idea would save a step for me.

Dennis you get an "A" from me. Not only was the packing effective, it was meticulously placed and IMHO was perfect for a "How To" thread.

Doug Rose

Being a seller of phones on eBay as well as a buyer, we get a lot of demands on how a phone should be packed and what to use. Honestly, a Priority flat box is worth its weight in gold. They are sturdy to the point you can stand on them. Myself, I am not a big fan of peanuts as they make such a mess. Bubble, newspaper and a Medium Priority Flat box and you fit "most" phones no worries. My wife packs all our sales and does a wonderful job. She say its grunt work, I say its an art. When I buy on Craig's List, they usually have no bubble and won't buy it. I tell them, newspaper and plenty of it. Please separate the handset from the phone. Make sure there is so much newspaper the phone cannot move. So far, no damage getting a phone sent from CL with just newspaper and the ever friendly Medium Priority flat box. Everyone has newspaper, just my two cents.

Dennis...you get the"Oscar" for best packing....Doug
Kidphone

Craig T

Good point Doug, most folks do have the newspaper around and it is effective if used properly. I only use bubble on the phones and handset, I use newspaper the rest of the way when I sell a phone.

I use both medium and large flat rate boxes. For the record this box from Dennis was 12x12x8, the large regular priority box. When this large priority box came I though for sure he had $15 or better into shipping it, but it was actually cheaper than the $10.20 of the medium flat rate box... I was surprised.

Dennis Markham

I have shipped a lot of 500's in what they now call the Medium Flat Rate box.  I hold my breath each time.  It takes some juggling to get things situated just right inside so nothing gets broken.  I started using the regular 12X12X8 boxes because I figure for the safety of the phone a few more dollars is worth it.  I have noticed that with the latest bath of Medium boxes they are much thinner...just thicker than paper really.  If you have an old one compare it with the new ones.  The new ones have the words Priority Mail written inside.  That's because so many people would turn them inside out and ship via UPS or some other carrier.

But I have had phones shipped to me in a Priority Box via UPS so apparently they don't care.  The Postal Service threatens that one is committing a Federal offense by not using the box appropriately.  They give you the box they don't want you using it to ship via UPS.  But that's up to that seller.

If I had a real nice, expensive phone to ship..like that Blue 302, I'd double-box.  Put the body in one box, the handset in another or at least the handset bubble wrapped outside the box the body of the phone is in and then put them both in a larger box.

Since the phone I sent Craig was going to upper Michigan (about 500 miles from me here in lower Michigan) it was actually cheaper for the safer box, which is based upon weight.  As he said, it would have cost more for me to send it in the Medium Flat Rate box.  So sometimes it's better to check the weight and ship in the larger box and do it cheaper.

I have asked people to stuff newspaper around the phone.  I actually have had people put the paper in the box folded..not balled up.  It doesn't work so well when it's still flat.

Check out this Orange Stromberg Carlson I bought last month.  I saw the mail truck parked in front of my house so I opened the front door just as the mail man was tip-toeing back to his truck.  He knew this wasn't going to be good....and so did I.

Craig T

Those are the ones where you are clenching your teeth and your toes in hope that by some small miracle the phone managed to survive the trip in spite of the lack of proper packaging. Pretty bad when you can plug in the phone before you open the box  :o  It is hard for me to understand how someone can reasonably believe a box packed like that will protect an item during transit.

That is a perfect example of how not to pack a phone. That is sad to see a good orange phone like that.

Good shipping isn't always cheap either. I overpaid $13 on the Light Gray to have it boxed entirely with 5/8" bubble wrap, that was more than he was asking for the phone and actual postage and insurance was still another $13. The guy was real cool about it and packed it top notch, just as described above. It was medium flat rate and I held my breath as I was opening it, until I seen the care taken in packing it... WHEW

Dan

That is a shame about your orange, Dennis.

I always say the same lines to my sellers.

"Hello, I am a phone collector. If you haven't shipped many phones I'd like to offer my advice to help. I am not trying to be picky, I have just received a few broken phones in the past. Please wrap the receiver SEPARATE and off to the side of the phone. Please use bubble wrap and secure the phone on all sides with newspaper or more bubble wrap  so it won't move in the box. I love your phone and am looking forward to receiving it in the nice shape as it is displayed in your auction. Thank You!"

I have not received a boken phone yet since I did this, however the bigger companies sometimes don't listen and I did get one packed like Dennis' one (but not cracked). Most people thank you for the packing advice.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

JorgeAmely

Dennis:

You need to see this box from the seller's perspective.

There is convenience in being able to plug the phone before you open the box. If it doesn't ring, you just return it unopened.  ;D ;D ;D

Jorge

Dennis Markham

That was probably his plan Jorge, I didn't think of that.  In this case the box was older than the telephone.  The cardboard was so soft it was like a brown paper bag rather than a box.

Craig T

I agree, if that box was any thinner it would have only had one side!

McHeath

What are you complaining about Dennis??  That's ANTIQUE cardboard you got for FREE with that phone!  It's an added bonus, and I think the seller was very generous to donate it to you. ;) ;)

Plus, I like the idea of plugging in my phones while still in the box.  That way when it rings it's muffled a bit so I don't have to turn the adjuster down.  Very handy. :)

Geesh.  Why didn't the seller just tape the handset down on the body with duct tape and slap a stamp on it?  Save on that bothersome wrapping.  

And I agree Craig that Dennis knows how to ship a phone, I've received a couple of items from him and it's always enjoyable just to unwrap it as it's so well done.  

Dennis Markham

Thanks, McHeath.  I guess that phone cord wanted to think outside the box.

Dan/Panther

When it comes to packing items for shipping, does the average seller really not care, or are they really that stupid ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson