News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

New England Telephone Flange MADE IN ENGLAND

Started by Sargeguy, October 20, 2014, 08:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

This is a really interesting New England Telephone & Telegraph 1895 pattern flange.  Although it is nearly identical to the versions made by Ingram & Richards, this example was sold by Imperial Enamel Corp of New York.  What makes it interesting is that it is stamped "MADE IN ENGLAND".  I assume that this is a very early example made before the American enamel sign industry had come into it's own.  The wear on the enamel appears similar to my 1889 flange, which was also (I assume) made in England.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

twocvbloke

Not surprising really, back before the GPO did telephones, we had the National Telephone Company, and they used the same blue Bell logo design, so they probably all got made in the same factory for a short while... :)

Sargeguy

Exactly.  If you look at a lot of the old N.T.C. signs they have a similar look. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

The phone arrived today, which is pretty good considering I bought it Monday night (2 days from New Hampshire via UPS).   I paid $205 incl. shipping,  I have sold similar 1895 NET&T signs that were in worse condition for more than that so I am pretty satisfied.  The phone is in nice condition overall, and the auction pics did a pretty good job documenting the condition.  I have added a few of my own.  Interesting features are the blue flange and the number "8  5" painted in enamel on the flange.  Overall the enameling seems thinner than on ING-RICH signs.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Here is a side by side comparison of the IMPERIAL (left) and an ING-RICH version (right):

The lettering and the lines across the bell are a little thicker.  The shape of the bell and clapper are a slightly different. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409