News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Clear ITT 564 Keyset on eBay

Started by Babybearjs, January 16, 2015, 01:10:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

At $220 with 24 hours to go. 7 bidders. This could be a $500 to $600 item, or more.

Babybearjs

John

Babybearjs

the final price: $1146.00! now, which one of you bought it??
John

andre_janew

Wow!  I never expected a phone from the 1970s to bring that much!

unbeldi

Quote from: andre_janew on January 21, 2015, 01:14:45 PM
Wow!  I never expected a phone from the 1970s to bring that much!

I think it's probably early 1960s.  The receiver seems marked 9-60

WesternElectricBen

And the button style was discontinued sometime in the 50s. (I think)

Ben

andre_janew

Maybe the button style is what drove the price up.

unbeldi

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on January 21, 2015, 04:44:30 PM
And the button style was discontinued sometime in the 50s. (I think)

Ben

There was some overlap between the small round buttons and the square buttons in the early sixties.  I think I have some small button WECo housings that are dated 1964.  Kellogg was certainly behind in that transition.

However, those '64 dates on housings probably don't indicate that new sets were still made in 64 with small keys. These were replacement housings on sets from 1958 to 1960.

unbeldi

Quote from: andre_janew on January 21, 2015, 04:54:03 PM
Maybe the button style is what drove the price up.

One just doesn't see clear Kellogg phones that often, but what really drove the price up here was that two bidders wanted the set almost as much, much more than rest of the pack.

Babybearjs

do you think they are part of the TCI group? or a independent collector?
John

unbeldi

Quote from: Babybearjs on January 21, 2015, 06:31:49 PM
do you think they are part of the TCI group? or a independent collector?

Hmm, is there such a mafia?

AE_Collector

Actually, the bidding seemed quite unusual to me. 12 different Bidders with only 14 total bids. Only two bidders bid more than once, each bidding twice.

The winning bid was the only bid placed by the winner and it was a snipe with 4 seconds to go. I dont have anything to help ID who the winner was.

Terry

TelePlay

Quote from: AE_Collector on January 21, 2015, 09:43:05 PM
The winning bid was the only bid placed by the winner and it was a snipe with 4 seconds to go.

That is not unusual. 8 or 9 out of 10 of the past 20 to 30 auction contests had the phone going to a last second snipe that was the winners one and only bid if the auction.

Jim Stettler

I own 1 of these, so at least 2 were made. My guess  as demo or display models. Kellogg- ITT also made  clear 500 sets.

I suspect every model of WE plastic phones had at least 1 Transparent example made as an engineering model.
I have a transparent smoke tint Trimline housing that I suspect was done as a test run test for new molds.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.