News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

New Boards - Pay Phones

Started by Dennis Markham, February 20, 2012, 10:34:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Markham

I don't know why I didn't do this a long time ago.  Tonight I created a new Board titled Pay Station Phones.  It appears on the main page, right under the General Discussion board.  There are currently four "child" boards of the main board.  They are titled Automatic Electric Pay Phones, Western Electric Pay Phones, Gray Pay Station and Others.  I have moved a few topics that were posted elsewhere and moved them into the Western Electric Pay Phones board.  If anyone runs across other topics that need to be moved, just let me know. 

If anyone would like to be a moderator of these boards, also  just let me know.  You can then move them at your discretion. 

(I bought a pay phone today...maybe that's what prompted my sudden interest). :)

~Dennis

AE_Collector

Good idea Dennis. Maybe a Northern Electric/Northern Telecom category as well? For North America I think that WECo, NECo and AECo probably had virtually all of the market. Some NECo's are identical to WECo's but NECo had many of their own proprietary payphones as well.

Terry

DavePEI

Quote from: Dennis Markham on February 20, 2012, 10:34:21 PM
I don't know why I didn't do this a long time ago.  Tonight I created a new Board titled Pay Station Phones.  It appears on the main page, right under the General Discussion board.  There are currently four "child" boards of the main board.  They are titled Automatic Electric Pay Phones, Western Electric Pay Phones, Gray Pay Station and Others.  I have moved a few topics that were posted elsewhere and moved them into the Western Electric Pay Phones board.  If anyone runs across other topics that need to be moved, just let me know.  

If anyone would like to be a moderator of these boards, also  just let me know.  You can then move them at your discretion.  

(I bought a pay phone today...maybe that's what prompted my sudden interest). :)
~Dennis

Hi Dennis:

Glad to see you enter the folds of the payphone clan :-)  I have to agree with Terry in that Northern Electric should be added as a child board, as Northern Electric did make a number of unique phones beginning with the QSD series which were sold in Canada and to many Telcos in the US. Then came the Centurions and the Millenniums, also widely distributed around the world.

I have always found payphones interesting, and have recently started collecting Gray Coin Collectors in addition to payphones and enclosures.

Great addition!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Russ Kirk

Quote from: Dennis Markham on February 20, 2012, 10:34:21 PM
There are currently four "child" boards of the main board.  They are titled Automatic Electric Pay Phones, Western Electric Pay Phones, Gray Pay Station and Others.

Great idea Dennis!

Suggestion - create another child in the category for Phone Booths.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

twocvbloke

Don't forget the GPO payphones, for us brits they're classic memories (well, for those who are, er, "more experienced in life" than me!! :D ), and plenty collectors over here have them, and I'd second the phone booth/box too, so we can post pictures of GPO K2 and K6 boxes... :D

Dennis Markham

Quote from: Russ Kirk on February 21, 2012, 11:17:18 AM

I have added a sub directory for Phone Booths, as you suggested Russ.  I will also add a directory for GPO Pay Phones.  Initially I thought the "Other" topic might be used for that without realizing/knowing the popularity of the GPO Pay Phones on the other side of the pond.  Thanks for the suggestions.   We can always modify existing categories down the road, if needed.

AE_Collector

Quote from: Russ Kirk on February 21, 2012, 11:17:18 AM

Or Phone Booths, Pedestals and Shelves (or something along those lines). We refered to it all as "furniture" when I worked in the coin department.

Terry