"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AECo Bakelite Era Phones - Base Codes & Patent Numbers Survey

Started by AE_Collector, October 02, 2011, 09:32:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

recrum

Ok, here it goes.

SN 4022 AO RS1:  Left coil, D281365 B Right Coil, D281350 B.  Resistance 700w -700w.  Large capacitor has two terminals.  Transmitter, D38309A Receiver, D5189A.  Both also stamp NS  Orange Stamp.

SN 4053 AO GH9:  left coil, d281390b right coil, 281389b.  Resistance 238w - 238w.  Large capacitor has two terminals.  Transmitter, d38309b receiver, d5189c  Both stamped KO.  Black stamp.

SN 4020 AO 4BO:  Resistance 700w - 700w.  Large capacitor has two terminals.  Orange stamp.  Transmitter d38309b, receiver d5189a.  Transmitter also stamped RE, receiver stamped PA

SL 5000 A4 LE9:  Left coil, d281390b right coil, d281389b.  Resistance 238w - 238w. Large capacitor has two terminals.  Transmitter, d3809b receiver, d5189a.  Both stamped LE

SN 402?:  Ringer was missing.  Large capacitor had two terminals.  Transmitter 38309b, receiver 5189c.  Both stamped RE.  Felt bottom probably had paper tag at one point.

All transmitters and receivers are marked A.E. CO 41

I hope that fills in all the blanks.  One thing I noticed with the handset parts.  There is a two letter code that matches on the transmitter and receiver on all the phones, but one.  May be a way to tell if a transmitter or receiver has been replaced during the phones life, if you can confirm this.

AE_Collector

I have only just started to record those trans/rcvr codes so let me know what those 2 letter codes are as well. So far I have no idea what they refer to. ALso do they say AECo 41, AECo 81 on them?

Terry

recrum

Quote from: AE_collector on December 27, 2011, 12:07:30 PM
I have only just started to record those trans/rcvr codes so let me know what those 2 letter codes are as well. So far I have no idea what they refer to. ALso do they say AECo 41, AECo 81 on them?

Terry

Ok.  I added the new info to my last post.  Also including two photos showing difference in material used.

AE_Collector

Quote from: recrum on December 27, 2011, 06:22:17 AM
SN 4053 AO GH9:  left coil, d281390b right coil, 281389b.  Resistance 238w - 238w.  Large capacitor has two terminals.  Transmitter, d38309b receiver, d5189c  Both stamped KO.  Black stamp.

I had SN4023 AO GH9 rather than SN4053. Was that a typo on my part originally?
I also had the ringer as a 60~ but with the two coils listed it should be a 66.6~. That was likely an error on my part as I don't know that there is a 60~ ringer normally.

Terry

AE_Collector

Quote from: recrum on December 27, 2011, 06:22:17 AM
SL 5000 A4 LE9:  Transmitter, d3809b receiver, d5189a.  Both stamped LE

Can you confirm if the transmitter capsule on the AE50 is D-3809-B or D-38309-B. Typo possibly? I tried to read it from you picture but couldn't make out the extra code. I can't help wondering if these 2 letter codes aren't possibly a year/month code or plant/shift. Will have to collect a lot more samples I guess.

Thanks....Terry

recrum

Yes it's 4053.  and yeah it's marked 60.  although it uses the same coils as the 66 in the type 50, weird.  that was a typo on my part it is 38309-b.  

AE_Collector

Quote from: recrum on December 28, 2011, 10:10:09 AM
yeah it's marked 60.  although it uses the same coils as the 66 in the type 50, weird.  

I guess that 60~ and 66~ are close enough that they can use the same coils and then fine tune it with the other settings on the frquency ringers. Most likely those two different frequencies wouldn't be used together on the same line. One method used 16~, 33~, 50~ & 66~ on a line and another method used 20~, 30~, 42~, 54~ & 66~. I don't know where they used 60~ but I guess lots of different methods were used.

Terry

stub

Terry,
          Here's the dial in that AE-47 I forgot to tell you about. Sorry about that ;D 
  Radio Suppresser in a # 24 dial.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

G-Man

Quote from: AE_collector on December 29, 2011, 12:27:15 AM
Quote from: recrum on December 28, 2011, 10:10:09 AM
yeah it's marked 60.  although it uses the same coils as the 66 in the type 50, weird.  

I guess that 60~ and 66~ are close enough that they can use the same coils and then fine tune it with the other settings on the frquency ringers. Most likely those two different frequencies wouldn't be used together on the same line. One method used 16~, 33~, 50~ & 66~ on a line and another method used 20~, 30~, 42~, 54~ & 66~. I don't know where they used 60~ but I guess lots of different methods were used.

Terry
Hi Terry-

There are three frequency ringing schemes that were used for party-line selective ringing;
Harmonic, Decimonic, and Syncromonic.

Most of these frequencies are listed in the catalogs and the A.E. parts bulletins in the TCI library shows the parts breakdown of the various frequency ringers. You can see the commonality of parts, including which coils, clappers, etc. that were used with more than one frequency.

Depending on which particular ringing scheme was employed, some of the frequencies were:
16~ 16 2/3~ 20~ 25~ 30~ 33 1/3~ 40~ 42~ 50~ 54~ 60~ 66~ 66 2/3~   

Of course the Bell System, with few exceptions, used polarized ringing by means of cold cathode tubes. Though independents often chose frequency ringing, a good number also used polarized ringing as well.

mst269

OK, I am starting to go through my phones and I'm starting with a really crummy one first. You aren't going to get much out of this one!

Common AE Model # ------------------ 40
Color of phone / handset ------------- Black Bakelite
Base Code section 1 ------------------- nothing visible on base
Base Code section 2 -------------------
Base Code section 3 -------------------
DES Number from Label/Decal---------177876
D Number from Label/Decal ----------- D-780497-A1
Number of Patent #'s on Decal --------11 + Des # (from 1878800 to 2272474)
Gold Decal / Paper / Ink Stamped? ----Gold Transfer Decal on Base
USA or Canadian Made ----------------- Chicago 7
Handset Trim finish --------------------- North Electric H-402 handset dated 11-52, with HA1 receiver dated 12-5-51 and F1 transmitter dated 7-54
Dial Fingerwheel ------------------------ Black Painted Brass
Dial Number Card Description-----------Cursive "Wait", rounded rectangle with TOpaz, "FOR DIAL TONE", all black on white
Cradle Buttons finish ------------------- Chrome
Has Carry Bar or Plunger Blocks ------- Plunger Blocks
Carry Bar / Blocks Finish --------------- Chrome
If Blocks, hole in side for handle ------- No
Handset Cord is Coil or Straight ------  Coiled Hdst Cord (Huge Heavy type)
Handset Cord Material ------------------ Black Vinyl
Set Cord Material ------------------------ aftermarket silver satin with modular plug
Inside Wiring Cloth or Plastic ----------- Cloth Wiring
Metal Dial Mount Ring (40) ----------- No Dial Mounting Ring
Dial Model Number ---------------------- D96 ???
Style of Dial Number Plate ------------ Red-#s, Blk-Ltrs, Op & Z on Silver background with large numbers painted out on back (see picture!)
Induction Coil Number -------------------- D-282996-A
Ringer Type ----------------------------- replaced with aftermarket TCI PTR-1 tone ringer dated SEP. 1982
Capacitor(s) 2 seperate or 2 in 1?-------- 2 in 1
Capacitor MF's marked?----------------- .7 MF/4 MF
Capacitor D Number----------------------- D-68640A
Phone Owner or Where Seen ----------- mst269 (Richard), bought from Ebay in 2010

AE_Collector

That is a bit of a wild AE 40 isn't it. I couldn't help noticing the FAT handset cord. Non AE Handset, Wild Ringer and the silver background dial number plate. I have seen the silver background before but I thought that it was on a Stromber Carlson dial. Some Stromberg Carlson Dials are AE's or maybe they are copies of AE's so it could be one of those dials. D96 sounds as though it might be an AE dial code though.

Good Reporting job Richard! Thanks. I'll enter the data into my Excel spread sheet. I was just working on it yesterday.

Terry

mst269

Quote from: AE_Collector on January 03, 2013, 01:49:20 AM
That is a bit of a wild AE 40 isn't it. I couldn't help noticing the FAT handset cord. Non AE Handset, Wild Ringer and the silver background dial number plate. I have seen the silver background before but I thought that it was on a Stromber Carlson dial. Some Stromberg Carlson Dials are AE's or maybe they are copies of AE's so it could be one of those dials. D96 sounds as though it might be an AE dial code though.

I think it was my first AE 40, and I was not very impressed when I got it.  The handset cord is heavy!  I think that it probably weighs in total about the same as the handset, or maybe more.  It looks like rubber, but looking really close you can detect a very slight oily quality- not enough to make a mess of anything, but I don't think it's rubber either.  I suppose it could be some synthetic rubber.  Anyway, it's huge.  The tone ringer, I suppose, replaced a frequency ringer when someone tried to get it working again in the '80s.

About the number plate and the dial- the dial is definitely AE, and there is another number on it that has been obliterated.  Maybe that was a more AE-like model number?  It looks just like any other AE dial of the period.  The number plate is aluminum, and finding the numbers on the back, painted-out, was a surprise.  Note that they are off-center- I suppose this could have been a salvaged reject in the printing process.  Weird.

Richard

mst269

Here's another 40, this one a bit nicer example.

Common AE Model # ------------------ 40
Base Code section 1 ------------------- N4020
Base Code section 2 ------------------- B5
Base Code section 3 ------------------- EA7
DES Number from Label/Decal---------decal torn, but ends in 7,876
D Number from Label/Decal ----------- ends in 0504-A3
Number of Patent #'s on Decal --------can't read
Gold Decal / Paper / Ink Stamped? ----Gold Transfer Decal on Base
USA or Canadian Made ----------------- Chicago - torn where zone code would be
Handset Trim finish --------------------- No Handset Bands
Plain Caps or Routed Grooves?-------plain caps
Dial Fingerwheel ------------------------ Black Painted Brass
Dial Number Card Description-----------missing
Cradle Buttons finish ------------------- Chrome
Has Carry Bar or Plunger Blocks ------- Plunger Blocks
Carry Bar / Blocks Finish --------------- Chrome
If Blocks, hole in side for handle ------- No
Handset Cord is Coil or Straight ------  Coiled Hdst Cord
Handset Cord Material ------------------ Black Vinyl, Koiled Kords 9-5011-32 D-543003-B
Set Cord Material ------------------------ Black Vinyl, red/wht/blk rubber conductors
Inside Wiring Cloth or Plastic ----------- Cloth Wiring
Metal Dial Mount Ring (40) ----------- No Dial Mounting Ring
Dial Model Number ---------------------- orange number obliterated, yellow marking MAY 1962 on top of it
Dial Back Logo Diamond or Oval-------Diamond - AECo
Style of Dial Number Plate ------------ Red-#s, Blk-Ltrs, Operator & Z
Induction Coil Number ------------------- D-282996-A
Color of Ind Coil Wrapper----------------Brown/Black Ink
Ringer Type ----------------------------- Straight Line
Ringer D Number-------------------------D-56462-A
Ringer Ohms----------------------------- 700/700
Ringer Left Coil Number---------------- D-281365-B
Ringer Right Coil Number---------------D-281350-B
Capacitor(s) 2 seperate or 2 in 1?-------- 2 in 1
Capacitor MF's marked?----------------- .7/4 MF
Capacitor D Number----------------------- D-68640A
Transmitter Capsule Type----------------AECo Type 41
Transmitter Capsule D#-----------------D-38309-A
Transmitter Capsule Code---------------YT
Receiver Capsule Type-------------------AECo Type 41
Receiver Capsule D#---------------------D-5189-A
Receiver Capsule Code-------------------YB
Phone Owner or Where Seen ----------- mst269 (Richard), bought from Ebay in 2010

AE_Collector

Excellent reporting Richard. thanks for all the details.  I will get this one added to my list over the weekend.

Terry

DNO

Being a novice at this I'm a bit hesitant but I noticed that there hasn't been any Canadian made AE34s reported.  When I wasn't sure of an answer, I left it blank.  It has been suggested that this is an AE34A3B although there is no cup on the transmitter cap.  I'll pop a couple of photos in as well.

Common AE Model # ------------------ 34
Base Code section 1 ------------------- L258AO
Base Code section 2 -------------------
Base Code section 3 -------------------
DES Number from Label/Decal---------no number
D Number from Label/Decal ----------- no number
Number of Patent #'s on Decal --------none
Gold Decal / Paper / Ink Stamped? ----ink stamped
USA or Canadian Made ----------------- Canadian, Phillips
Handset Trim finish --------------------- No Handset Bands
Plain Caps or Routed Grooves?-------