News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 500 rings at my home, but not at neighbors house

Started by Dingodaddy, January 16, 2010, 02:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McHeath

My vote also goes for differently wired houses being the problem. 

bwanna

my vote also goes to different wiring at the 2 locations. more than likely the second pair in the premise wire is connected to ground, as opposed to dial tone. no offense to your theory, jester. my opinion is based on what i have seen in my daily travels ;) in the days of party lines, all houses were wired this way.

welcome, dingodaddy :)
donna

Dennis Markham

Donna, Dingodaddy did say both homes were built 6 years ago, so that would be long after party lines.  But that still doesn't mean they were wired differently however.  That movement of the black ringer wire should resolve the issue....unless there is more than one issue. :)

bwanna

oooopps, thx dennis, i missed that part. hadn't had my coffee yet when i posted earlier ::)

then jester's theory is probably correct. as you say, moving the wire in the set solves the problem, so the premise wiring is a moot point. :)
donna

Dingodaddy

To all who have responded......

I'm still waiting to hear from the neighbor so I can get in and see what happens since I've changed the wire. (Black from G to L1)........... I'll post the results sometime today. Thanks !!!!

Wallphone

For my 2 cents, I'll put it on the house's being wired differently. I have heard before that installer's now days pay little attention to Tip & Ring. When I had phone trouble about a year ago the repairman had no idea that my home alarm system had first priority and was capable of seizing the line. They just don't train them like they used to. This is my first post, so please let me know if I did it correctly.
Doug

Dennis Markham

Doug, you did it correctly.  Welcome to the Forum!  It's nice to have you.

~Dennis

Phonesrfun

-Bill G

Wallphone

Thanks Dennis & Bill.
I like the feel of this forum. It looks like a "Roll up your sleeves and let's find out" kind of place.
And, let's have some fun while we are doing it.
I have a modest collection of older phones and stuff, and I will post some pics when I get my Phone Cave tidied up a bit.
Doug

Dan

Welcome Doug, my phone cave is overwhelmed by Christmas decorations just taken down currently
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dingodaddy

To all who have commented on my problem....
I finally got a chance to try the phone at neighbors house. And it doesn't work! It also doesn't ring at my house now!!! Is there another way to wire the phones. (in otherwords,  can I somehow match the wall wiring in the house to a particular color wire in the phone????)

Phonesrfun

Dingo:

Your best bet is to wire the inside of the phone so that the red wire from the ringer is hooked to L2 and the black wire from the ringer to L1.  Do not have any ringer wire hooked to G.

The slate (light gray) ringer wire should be hooked to K and the slate/red ringer wire should be hooked to A.

The red line cord wire should also be hooked to L2 and the green line cord wire should be hooked to L1.  The yellow and black line cord wires can both be hooked to G.

This should bypass any house wiring issues.

-Bill Geurts

-Bill G

Dingodaddy

To all who have responded to this problem......

THE EAGLE HAS LANDED !!!!!!

Bill G's fix worked. The phone now works at our house and the neighbors.....

Sorry it took a while for me to link up with the neighbors.... we live in the country (as compared to the city), so it's a little more complicated at times. Plus we have had a lot of snow and ice in the last few days. Nothing freaks out a southerner faster than snow......

Thanks again......
DingoDaddy

Dennis Markham

Nice job Bill!  Paint a repair "kill" on the side of YOUR airplane! :)

It's strange that there's more snow on the ground in the south than there is here in the Detroit area.

Dingodaddy

We are in Franklin, Tn..... Nashville area....... We've had about 6 " of snow, but as is typical in the south, it is mixed with freezing rain so it' is hard as ice and super-southern-slick. It pretty much shuts down the entire area and for good reason.