News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

[Found] Bell Ringer that Replaces Dial

Started by mazda_matt, September 06, 2017, 09:20:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mazda_matt

Found this on a Western 201 C-Mount attached to the dial housing and sounds pretty good. Could also work well on a 102 or 202 sans dial.

-MM

oldphoneworks.com
1-800-843-1320

Coupon Code - CRF10 (10% off)

Pourme

Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

RB

HarrySmith

That is interesting. Is that a WE part? Does it hit the plastic cover or something else to make noise?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

unbeldi

The Stromberg-Carlson 1191 had a ringer assembly like this, in which the dome is the gong.  It did not replace a dial on that instrument.

If so, is the number card group glued in ?  It's normally attached with a center pin.

mazda_matt

Quote from: HarrySmith on September 06, 2017, 11:28:07 AM
That is interesting. Is that a WE part? Does it hit the plastic cover or something else to make noise?

There is no part number to indicate whether it is WE or something else. The ringer itself doesn't look to be Western, but maybe someone else on here would know.

The housing is actually made of metal, which is what the hammer is hitting during a ring cycle. If you look closely there is a small extra piece coming down from the bell portion of the unit which is what the hammer is hitting.
oldphoneworks.com
1-800-843-1320

mazda_matt

Quote from: unbeldi on September 06, 2017, 12:49:34 PM
The Stromberg-Carlson 1191 had a ringer assembly like this, in which the dome is the gong.  It did not replace a dial on that instrument.

If so, is the number card group glued in ?  It's normally attached with a center pin.

The dial card is not glued on, it has the traditional WE dial ring mount, which leads me to believe it truly is a WE part.

-MM
oldphoneworks.com
1-800-843-1320

david@london

regarding the stromberg carlson version of this ringer, i remember a discussion of the SC1191 with this feature some time ago. 

a wav-file was posted of the ringer in action.

Victor Laszlo

Is it a ringer, or is it an intercom (low voltage) bell?  Have you tried energizing it with, say, 12 Vac? If there was no capacitor in the phone, I suspect that it was intended as part of an intercom system.  I have never seen anything like it in any WE publication. If it doesn't say WE on it, or have a date in vermilion, the odds are that it isn't WE.

LarryInMichigan

I have an SC 1191 with one of those ringers.  It is a normal phone ringer.  The opening is the standard size and shape of a dial opening.  The same shells were used for phone models with and without a dial.

Larry

mazda_matt

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on September 06, 2017, 07:10:02 PM
I have an SC 1191 with one of those ringers.  It is a normal phone ringer.  The opening is the standard size and shape of a dial opening.  The same shells were used for phone models with and without a dial.

Larry

Yes, but did the SC ones have the standard WE dial ring attachment holes? or were they screw on like someone mentioned above...

-MM
oldphoneworks.com
1-800-843-1320

mazda_matt

Quote from: Victor Laszlo on September 06, 2017, 06:59:35 PM
Is it a ringer, or is it an intercom (low voltage) bell?  Have you tried energizing it with, say, 12 Vac? If there was no capacitor in the phone, I suspect that it was intended as part of an intercom system.  I have never seen anything like it in any WE publication. If it doesn't say WE on it, or have a date in vermilion, the odds are that it isn't WE.

Its a regular ringer.
oldphoneworks.com
1-800-843-1320

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: mazda_matt on September 06, 2017, 07:32:35 PM
Yes, but did the SC ones have the standard WE dial ring attachment holes? or were they screw on like someone mentioned above...

-MM

As far as I remember, the shell has the usual holes for the dial screws.  A standard dial can be installed into the shell the usual way.

Larry