News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Red Soft Plastic 500 set

Started by Doug Rose, January 24, 2015, 07:27:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I jumped on eBay yesterday afternoon at work as this was just posted. Pictures aren't that good, but I couldn't let it sit. Where I don't have a 500 set in my collection, maybe this is it. either 10/55 or 12/55. Grey cords look great.....Doug

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221670745983
Kidphone

TelePlay

Very nice find, Doug. I'd say you bit the bear on that buy. The right place at the right time always wins.

Dennis Markham

Looks good, Doug.  It looks like there may be an original dial card there too....just turned around.  Welcome to the dark side.

Doug Rose

thanks guys....limited space after the re-org of the room, so we will see. I have always wanted a 500 set just to show it with the collection. This just "might" be the bad boy. You know what happens when you say just one   8)    ....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

I received the 500 set today and I am very happy with it. It is a working phone dated 10 16 55 in yellow vermilion. Everything is dated 10 55 except the dial which is 9 55. No chips cracks or missing pieces and the grey cords are in excellent shape. I removed the Made in Japan four prong which I think was the only add to this beauty and I will wire it to a mounting block. No original dial card, it was a piece of paper with a stain on it. Bummer!

We are experiencing a Blizzard and expect over two feet of snow. I will be working from home and pray for the power to stay with us, so I can ...work from home. Between shoveling, I hope to get a little time with this great phone.

This was a BIN I was lucky to see just after it was posted on Friday, but I cannot see how long it was actually on eBay before I found it. If anyone knows how to see that, please let me know. Seller got it right out and packed it better than I had asked.

This would be a perfect Birthday phone for someone, unfortunately I was already "made" before it was  ;D. Not sure yet, but I am leaning on keeping it. I hope it comes out half as nice as Christian's refurb....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

I worked on the 500 set last night and polished it up today. Very happy with how it came out. The is a tube under the dial that is not connected. Everything is original except the block and the old party line dial card I had. The transmitter cap has a small push in the grill. This guy was filthy but came out satisfactory to me. The tube is interesting....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

inside
Kidphone

unbeldi

Interesting that the set contains a 426 tube without being relabeled.  Shouldn't it be a 501?  On the bottom I see it having a rivet for the bracket, so was it still a field modification? The rivet does look like it was a post-factory feature.

All in all very nice. Would beautify any bathroom counter.

Doug Rose

thanks Karl.....no natural light for me today over 2.5 feet of snow.....But we kept our power!!!
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

Actually, I don't think the fastener for the 426 tube is a rivet.  It's a hex-head bolt.  I've had a number of 500 sets with the 426 tube.  I do not recall the model designation but I do believe (as you send, unbeldi) that they are marked 501.

unbeldi

Quote from: Dennis Markham on January 27, 2015, 04:41:31 PM
Actually, I don't think the fastener for the 426 tube is a rivet.  It's a hex-head bolt.  I've had a number of 500 sets with the 426 tube.  I do not recall the model designation but I do believe (as you send, unbeldi) that they are marked 501.
Now that you say that.. I think you are right. I remember it being easy to remove the bracket and the tube. So what's that in the mounting hole of this set?  When enlarging the picture, something is centered in the hole, but there seems to be some kind of ridge around the hole.

PS: here is a picture of mine, pointing to what that looks like:

Doug Rose

Quote from: Dennis Markham on January 24, 2015, 08:46:35 AM
Looks good, Doug.  It looks like there may be an original dial card there too....just turned around.  Welcome to the dark side.
Dennis...I enjoyed my trip to the "dark side."   ::) It is a keeper and resting comfortably in the phone room...Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

It looks like the same hex-head bolt from here.  Is it not??

Doug Rose

Hey Dennis ...it is the same hex head as yours. I was surprised to find it when I took the dial off to lubricate it. It was never wired and it rings fine as is. For Party line ringing?  Its a really nice phone and something new for my collection...Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

I have decided to sell this as I just do not feel 500 sets fit in my collection.....Doug

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301511312966
Kidphone