News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Northern Electric Desk Phone With 33 1/3 Cycle Ringer Won't Ring

Started by gands-antiques, January 27, 2015, 09:29:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Gary....adjust the gongs and move them very close to the clapper, but leave enough room so it moves. You should see it moving when you ring the phone. I can usually get a Galion to ring, even with a frequency ringer. Its not loud, but give a charming tinkle....good luck....Doug
Kidphone

gands-antiques

Thanks Doug.

I adjusted the gongs closed and then gradually spread them apart and the clapper never moved. I put my multimeter on the two ringer connections and the ringer is getting a strong current.

I am probably going to keep this phone, so for the lack of a straight-line Canadian ringer, I am thinking about adapting a 302 ringer in it. The biggest problem I see to fit the ringer and to keep it level is the gong adjustment slide brackets would have to be removed and they are riveted to the chassis. I hate to remove the rivets and adjustment brackets in case I should ever get a straight-line Canadian ringer.

I guess I could compensate for the height of the slide adjustment rivets by adding spacers under the side of the ringer frame (next to the coil) so I could mount it level. Disregard level issue....the ringer assy is not that far out of level and I don't think it would matter if it wasn't level anyway. 

The saga continues...

Thanks again Doug,
Gary 

Doug Rose

Gary....I always jump from the 1 pos on the strip to L2....Doug
Kidphone

gands-antiques

Hello Doug,

I jumped the #1 position on the strip to L2 and it killed the current to the ringer. I didn't have the gongs installed before or after the jumper wire was installed so I didn't figure it made any difference.   

Would loosening the nuts and adjusting the two screws in or out have any affect on the operation of the ringer.

Thanks,
Gary

Doug Rose

Gary....then try L1.....clapper should move if gongs are on or not....Doug
Kidphone

gands-antiques

Current returned to ringer terminals when jumper was connected to #1 position on strip and L1 but still no movement of clapper.

Thanks,
Gary

poplar1

Even though it is marked 33 1/3 on the base, I believe that the ringer has been replaced with one with a higher frequency, making it less likely you'll get much movement even when wired correctly.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Phonesrfun

It appears to me that the picture Doug has posted is that of a straight line ringer, where the one that Gary has is definitely a frequency selective ringer.
-Bill G

Doug Rose

Bill...it is a straightline ringer, I was just showing Gary how I jump the ringer from pos 1 to L2. Only stock photo I had...Doug
Kidphone

Phonesrfun

-Bill G

gands-antiques

Thanks,

I may just leave the gong adjustment levers in place, drill and tap a couple of holes in a 302 ringer mount to match the existing ringer mount holes in the chassis and replace the existing 33 1/3 ringer.

Thanks,
Gary

gands-antiques

A friend of mine called tonight and said he hated to see me drill holes in the phone base and he said he has an straight-line AE ringer and  asked if it would fit/replace the 33 1/3 ringer in my North Electric.  Without having it in front of me I can't tell.  Does anyone know if it would work?

Thanks,
Gary