News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Hitler's bunker phone to be sold at auction

Started by RotarDad, February 02, 2017, 02:31:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Ryan

There was also an article in the May edition of The Exchange. The conclusion was that the phone was a fake.

Regards
Jack

19and41

I just can't see how someone could plunk down such an immense figure on something that has no provenance whatsoever and is held to be genuine just because one believes it to be true hard enough.  With so many fakes and forgeries swirling around those people and events, one would think that the buyer should have known better.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

TelePlay

Quote from: 19and41 on July 18, 2017, 02:32:07 PM
I just can't see how someone could plunk down such an immense figure on something that has no provenance whatsoever and is held to be genuine just because one believes it to be true hard enough.  With so many fakes and forgeries swirling around those people and events, one would think that the buyer should have known better.

Same feelings here but two questions:

1) can the buyer get their money back; and
2) was this a scam auction to transfer $243,000 less fees to someone for something nefarious?

19and41

That could make for another interesting story....
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

HarrySmith

I would think someone with that much money to spend would be able to afford an expert to authenticate the item and a lawyer to enure he is not wasting his money. But then again lots of people have more money than sense.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AL_as_needed

I cannot imagine a single item, especially a rotary phone, being valued greater than a three bedroom house.

Depending on where you live of course, +/-.
TWinbrook7