News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Chrome Stromberg Carlson 1243

Started by SunriseEarth, August 01, 2018, 08:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SunriseEarth

This weekend, I picked up a Stromberg Carlson 1243.   One of the spaces in an antique dealer we go to is going out of business and had a 50% sale.   The phone was originally priced at $55, but I got it for $27.50.

It's a beautiful phone, but it needs some work.   The dial is seized.   I found Steve's information on here, so I sent him the dial and I'm hoping he can save it.   If not, I think Old Phone Works has an SC dial that could work.   The transmitter cap is broken between some of the holes, so I'm going to replace that.   The cord looks like a old modular one; the clip is broken, but this is also an easy fix.   The modular cord looks very old, so I'm guessing this was converted long, long ago.

Another thing that seems interesting is the case itself, which is chrome.   I think this may have been intended for the 1248, because there is a hole where the crank would go.  Nonetheless, it's part of the history of the phone now, and it looks stunning.   I'll have to get some pics up.   Of course, the phone isn't looking its best without the dial. 
Tony Stokes

TCI Member; ATCA Member #4893

HarrySmith

Steve will take good care of your dial. No worries, he always does good work. Sounds interesting, I do not recall seeing any SC in chrome before. We need pictures.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

SunriseEarth

I'm hoping these don't com out gigantic...if so, I'll redo them
Tony Stokes

SunriseEarth

Looks like my Genie phone decided to "photo bomb" the 3rd pic!

The missing dial has a chrome fingerwheel, but is missing the dial card and holder.   The face is metallic and numeric only.  It's a good looking dial and my phone will be much happier when it's back.
Tony Stokes

SunriseEarth

The other problems areas are minor fixes.   I'll need a replacement transmitter cap and I'll have to put on a new modular jack, as the clip broke on the old one.   

Tony Stokes

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

rdelius

All? SC1243s are metal. Not as thick as 302 sets .

oldguy

Great find & Price & yes Steve can work miricals & cheap.
Gary

SunriseEarth

Tony Stokes

SunriseEarth

Here's a pic of the bottom of the phone:
Tony Stokes

FABphones

Quote from: SunriseEarth on August 01, 2018, 09:47:07 PM
Looks like my Genie phone decided to "photo bomb" the 3rd pic!

;D

I like it. Looking forward to the 'after' pics. Nice find.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Doug Rose

I have the same one with the extra hole for a magneto...Doug

https://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/atq/d/working-stromberg-carlson/6648288327.html ( dead link 03-09-21 )
Kidphone

SunriseEarth

Quote from: Doug Rose on August 02, 2018, 10:44:00 AM
I have the same one with the extra hole for a magneto...Doug

https://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/atq/d/working-stromberg-carlson/6648288327.html

That looks really nice with the black fingerwheel and alphanumeric dial!  OPW has a similar SC dial for sale.  I probably won't need to get it, but if I did, it would look good. 

There's one on eBay now with the numeral dial and chrome fingerwheel (like mine):  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stromberg-Carlson-Chrome-Telephone-1940s/131642644613
Tony Stokes

SunriseEarth

My dial reached Steve a day earlier than expected, and it will be on its way back to me tomorrow!  The dial base assembly was damaged, so the upper parts of the dial will be moved to another one.

I also ordered a replacement transmitter cap from OPW, so that is also on its way to me.    Looks like my "after" pics may be ready soon than I had expected.
Tony Stokes

SunriseEarth

My dial arrived today!   So I opened up my phone (and got a pic) and installed the dial.   It works like a charm and it looks great!  There's even a dial card holder in there (so I may need to keep my eyes out for an SC dial card or I might make my own).

Tony Stokes