News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Oh dear oh dear, a Planphone A (GPO N625 + 706 in one package)...

Started by twocvbloke, March 09, 2018, 06:21:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

Ah yes, I'd almost forgotton that bog roll in the bell adjustment 'there you go luv, sorted that nicely for you, now hows about a nice cuppa char'  ;D

There's a lot of personality to that phone.  :)

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

twocvbloke

I had to remove the tissue from the bells, it smelled like old shed, though did notice that the tone of one of them is much higher than normal (I have/had another phone with the same thing, and a BT Bell 50E with the higher tone bell), doesn't sound right, but, it'll stay put, as it's original to the phone... :)

twocvbloke

Gave the phone portion a cleaning and light polish today, still trying to decide how to tackle the planset to clean up its' plastics, total dismantlement, or just being careful with the sponge... ;D

Owain

twocvbloke

Quote from: Owain on March 17, 2018, 01:53:46 PM
wetwipes will get in most visible places.

Yeah, but given potential mousey messes (after all, one chewed on one of the buttons as an odd snack!), I might want to clean off the mess where I can't see it, but still, the phone came up nice, some imperfections here and there, but overall I like it... :)

twocvbloke

Gave the handset cable a soak in warm Daz Handwash & Twin Tub powdered water, and it came out good, forgot about the splits in the cable so it probably filled up with water, so, oops!! ::)

Anyway, I also had a go at gluing up the splits, and it seemed to turn out well enough that it's not that noticeable, the only way I can tell where it the repair was is the way the cable is kinked due to the way it had been left twisted up over the years, but despite that, it looks okay again... :)

Pictures (last one being before cleaning and gluing):

FABphones

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

Thanks, still need to clean the Planset base, as it's still filthy, but the cleaned phone's certainly made the whole thing look a lot better...  :)

andy1702

That dial finger wheel is an original one. Most (if not all) coloured finger wheels should be hollow like that. I think they are somehow vacuum formed out of clear plastic then painted on the back. They can normally be spotted because the edges of the holes are more rounded than on the nasty modern solid plastic alternatives.

You can probably rebuild the nibbled button. If it's ABS (and it sounds like that bit is) then disolve a bit of scrap ABS in acetone. Just don't use too much acetone and it will turn into a thick paste, which you can then plaster on like car body filler to rebuild the button. I'm currently in the process of doing it on the front corner of a blue 746 that had a chunk missing.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

twocvbloke

I've found that carburettor cleaner dissolves plastic nicely, completely by accident as I thought I'd picked up my brake cleaner, and melted the base of my knockoff imitation go-pro mount (I was trying to clean off old gooey glue from the cheap fake "3M" mounting foam they applied at the factory), which was messy to clean up afterwards... :o

19and41

I keep some different types of scrap plastic in a box and when I get a new cleaner I try it on them.  I put it on a cloth and if it cets the plastics color on it or if the plastic crazes,  It is for other things, not plastic. 
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

Ever have one of those days where you wish you hadn't started something but it's too late and you have to keep going? Yeah, that's what I've done with this N625 base, and I want to go to sleep now, and I can't 'til I remove the line cable from the thing now I've completely gutted the plastic base....... :o

Not recommended...

Owain

"assembly is the reverse of disassembly" :-)

I hope you've got lots of photographs ...