News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1956 5306 yard sale find

Started by Kenny C, September 04, 2011, 01:27:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny C

This was the second phone I found yesterday. I found this in a booth ran by two twin sisters in their 70's. I thought it was a 5302 at first glance but I flipped it over and There was 5302C stamped on the base. It is dated 9-24-56 almost 55 years old. Pauls site says the 5306 was used for party line service with 4 party selective ringing and 8 party semi-selective. It still has the 426A tube too! A pretty good buy for 5 bucks ;D!
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dan

"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Kenny C

Thank you Dan!

The restoration took about 5 hours but was worth it. I replaced all cords and painted most removeable parts that were rusted. I am very happy with it.

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Kenny C

more
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

JorgeAmely

Interesting find Kenny. Usually the tube of choice was larger and sat on top of the capacitor with a bracket. Was this one bolted somewhere or just loose inside the housing? I attached a picture of the old tube.
Jorge

Kenny C

The tube has a special mount that is screwed in with the screw that holds the capacitor to te base.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

GG

Holy cow, dude, you are *really* good at this!  From the "before" photos, I would have thought it might not be possible to get it back to a decent condition at all. 

Kenny C

Thanks GG. It is far from a Jorge or Dennis job but it works and is clean so I'm happy.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Tom B

Nice job, Kenny - a real steal for $5 ;)
Tom