News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric Type E Desk Phone

Started by wds, August 31, 2017, 09:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

I wanted to start a thread after i had received the phone.  Cleaned it up a little so I could take some pictures.  Was an E4, but has been marked out.  4H dial dated III 36, phone dated IV 36.  Dial number plate dated III 41, so maybe that's when it was converted to a single line.  Very nice phone, nice original paint.  The round base is larger than the B1, and the dial sits flatter.  The only info I could find on this type phone was an auction contest a while back.  I'll add the link as soon as I can find it again.

Dave

unbeldi

The E4 handset mounting was used for the type 205 telephone set, which was an anti-sidetone instrument used with the 750A PBX systems. It was perhaps converted during the war for single line use, when WECo resurrected many old sets to install a telephone for a new customer, after the War Production Board prohibited manufacturing of new sets for civilian purposes in the Fall of 1942.

Originally, it had push-button keys labeled 1, 2, 3, H, and L  (line numbers, hold, local intercom).

I think, the replacement for the 205 was the 466AC telephone (302-style), and later the 566MB (500-style).

HarrySmith

That cleaned up nice! I m guessing this might qualify even as "rare". Not much info out there and I do not recall hearing about or seeing one before. Is the plate on the front riveted in? It appears there are rivets in the end holes where the buttons were.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Jim Stettler

Quote from: unbeldi on August 31, 2017, 09:43:02 PM
It was perhaps converted during the war for single line use, when WECo resurrected many old sets to install a telephone for a new customer, after the War Production Board prohibited manufacturing of new sets for civilian purposes in the Fall of 1942.

I suspect it is a war shortage set.
I was told that WE turned over the steel base plates from B and D sets to meet their "quota" of steel for the government.
I have a B mount that has a formed fiber type base, I was told when I bought it that it is  a war shortage set.
I have seen 2 of your E type over the years. They were both display only.
I think you found a pretty cool set.
JMO,
Jim S.

Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

cihensley@aol.com

I have one of those sets. The plate on mine was held by two screws, not riveted. I also understand it was a war shortage conversion. It has been a long time since I opened it up, but as I recall most, if not all of the interior components were from H mounts.

Chuck

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

wds

the base (not the bottom leather covered plate) appears to be aluminum, and the cover over the holes is some kind of plastic or fiberglass held on by screws.  Tonight I will take the handset apart and check dates.
Dave

wds

finally found that thread for the E5

E5

E5 #2
Dave

HarrySmith

I just enlarged the pictures. Now I can see the nuts inside the base, they are not rivets. The screws appear to be security screws with 2 holes in the head! Is that what they are? When did these type screws come into use?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

wds

Yes they are security screws with the two holes in each. 
Dave

wds

Matching dates on the handset, transmitter and receiver element. 
Dave

wds

One last picture.
Dave

HarrySmith

Quote from: wds on September 01, 2017, 05:27:45 PM
Yes they are security screws with the two holes in each. 

OK, now I know more about screws than I ever wanted to know! I was searching for info on these 2 hole security screws, which are called snake eye screws, spanner screws, pig nose screws, pin hole screws and other names. They are classified as "tamper resistant". I could not find any definite information on when they were first made but a few places did say around 50 years ago, which would put them in the mid to late 60's. That does not fit with this phone though, so it may be wrong. I also learned there are friction gels out there which would come in handy on some phone screws. This gel is applied to a screw and it greatly increases the grip on the screwdriver. That will help in removing tight, rusted screws and prevent tearing up a screws slot. That was at least interesting! Here are 2 names: DriveGrip & ScrewGrab.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

wds

The other odd thing about those screws, is under the nuts there are lock washers.  Out of all the western electric phones I've taken apart I've never run across a lock washer except for the screws holding the old dials.  Those screws do seem out of place - but why would anyone replace the screws and leave the rest of the phone original?
Dave