News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Shopping mall memories - A distinctive phone booth

Started by Sigmaz, January 19, 2018, 04:03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sigmaz

Trying to get my hands on this bronze beauty but he's not keen on letting it go..

My pal says there are two more but in silver (presumably just clear coated) but the removal order hasn't come through yet.

I remember these from the courtyard in the shopping mall. they are gorgeous.. and oh so fashionable.

IIRC These were made by KING... something or another..

lol

twocvbloke

Looks like it could be used as a single user transporter unit prop for the Star Trek movies made in the 70s, has the right colour and design for it...  ;D

Jim Stettler

There was one of these on craigslist locally a couple of years ago. I was considering it.

I had previously come across the phone that I think was "proper" for it. The phone was on Ebay with poor photos but I feel the phone was designed for this style "booth"
Didn't buy either one tho.
The Phone looked right for this booth but wrong as a "real" payphone. Later I decided  the phone was probably a real payphone, designed for use with this style of "booth".

Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

AL_as_needed

I can recall seeing these all over local movie theaters and malls in the mid 90s, usually clustered in groups of three or four.

Did these also come in different heights? For some reason I remember there being sort of a tall, medium, short combination (in silver) at one of the area malls when I was young.
TWinbrook7

AE_Collector

Jaro made them in Canada as well. Somewhere I have a picture of a bank of 4 or 5 of them in a local shopping mall.

These are all aluminum like most of the pedestals and booths. The brown ones are anodized aluminum and I've seen gold anodized occasionally as well.

Terry

Sigmaz

Awesome!!! Thanks for the info! 
I remember seeing them in groups as well. I really, really want it.
I recall that they were fun to play hide and seek around with my sister as our parents took a short break from shopping on the bench.

Fleetcmat

Hello all, I have a new old stock "Mall Kiosk" for sale just like the first one pictured if any one is interested. I am in NE Ohio. Thanks.

AL_as_needed

Quote from: Sigmaz on January 22, 2018, 09:05:56 AM
I recall that they were fun to play hide and seek around with my sister as our parents took a short break from shopping on the bench.

Yes, same here  ;D
Equally good for hide and seek were those big stone or cement planters with the classic "mall plants" in them. Never did figure out if those plants were real or not..... The thing we had to do to survive our youth.
TWinbrook7

Sigmaz

Quote from: AL_as_needed on January 23, 2018, 08:59:45 PM
Yes, same here  ;D
Equally good for hide and seek were those big stone or cement planters with the classic "mall plants" in them. Never did figure out if those plants were real or not..... The thing we had to do to survive our youth.

Lol..
I also remember the large sculpture pieces of abstract art. That seems to have been standard fare in the malls at that time..

AL_as_needed

All part of the modern cultured shopping experience  8)
TWinbrook7

Payphone411

Thats the model booth I have in my house. See my Profile picture to the left

Sigmaz

Quote from: Payphone411 on February 01, 2018, 07:07:22 AM
Thats the model booth I have in my house. See my Profile picture to the left

Oh yeahh! I see that. awesome!

I would rather this booth than the L-31A I have (actually I'd like them both), But the owner now has it on ebay..
Oh well, so much for "dibs"....

The one my guy has is a King Model 540. Which one is yours?
I wonder which model #'s represent which height unit.
I'd like the shortest one please.. lol

Quote from: Fleetcmat on January 23, 2018, 08:58:48 PM
Hello all, I have a new old stock "Mall Kiosk" for sale just like the first one pictured if any one is interested. I am in NE Ohio. Thanks.
Hey Fleetcmat, If you don't mind,  PM me the details. Thanks.

Payphone411

Yes its a King 540. I was walking my dog a few years past behind our local library and saw it new in box in one of the dumpsters.

Came back that evening and picked her up.

Fleetcmat