News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1985 Ronald McDonald Phone

Started by ....., August 11, 2015, 07:27:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I picked up this 1985 Ronald McDonald phone for $15.00 at a local thrift store.
Did a search for it on Google and found out that they were given to Owner / Operators and could be rare.
It's in excellent shape and it even works.

HarrySmith

These novelty phones seem to getting more & more popular. I guess 1985 is getting old enough to be "Vintage or Antique".
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Greg G.

So, you talk into his butt like the Bozo phone?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Quote from: Brinybay on August 16, 2015, 02:10:47 AM

Exactly. I could comment, butt I'm not going to clown around.  :D  What year is your Bozo phone?

Greg G.

Quote from: Autonut on August 16, 2015, 08:06:32 AM

Exactly. I could comment, butt I'm not going to clown around.  :D  What year is your Bozo phone?

Not mine, I don't collect novelty phones.  The photo was the butt of jokes in a thread here a while back.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Jim Stettler

I think any advertising phone is a good collectable. This Ronald is (what I call) an Ericofone style Ronald. The other style  Ronald (sitting Ronald) is probably worth more.

The ericofone style phones can be a fun collection on their own. There were many charactors and/or advertising phones of this style. to include Raid bug, Popeye,  Bugs Bunny, Beetle Bailey, Charlie Tuna,  ect. Any of these phones are probably worth at least $25-30 with some being worth more. The advertising phones probably have a value edge as due the fringe phones like the Erotica fone (Classic nude statue).

The novelty phones can be a cross collectable with the toy collector market.
JMO,
Jim S.

I would buy most that I come across if the price is under $30.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Quote from: Jim S. on August 17, 2015, 06:43:18 PM
I think any advertising phone is a good collectable. This Ronald is (what I call) an Ericofone style Ronald. The other style  Ronald (sitting Ronald) is probably worth more.

The ericofone style phones can be a fun collection on their own. There were many charactors and/or advertising phones of this style. to include Raid bug, Popeye,  Bugs Bunny, Beetle Bailey, Charlie Tuna,  ect. Any of these phones are probably worth at least $25-30 with some being worth more. The advertising phones probably have a value edge as due the fringe phones like the Erotica fone (Classic nude statue).

The novelty phones can be a cross collectable with the toy collector market.
JMO,
Jim S.

I would buy most that I come across if the price is under $30.

That's good to know, thanks.

Jim Stettler

There is a nice picture book of novelty telephones:
http://www.amazon.com/Collectible-Novelty-Phones-Schiffer-Collectors/dp/0764304720/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1439864056&sr=1-1&keywords=collectable+novelty+telephones

At the time of publication the price guide was geared towards the toy collector market.

Jim S.

Jim Davis attended the Abilene, KS show after this book was published. He was selling novelty telephones and copies of his book at the show.

BTW: The book is basically photos with caption descriptions. It is a nice photo reference.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Greg G.

Quote from: Jim S. on August 17, 2015, 10:20:35 PM
There is a nice picture book of novelty telephones:
http://tinyurl.com/pzw6yr4

At the time of publication the price guide was geared towards the toy collector market.

Jim S.

Jim Davis attended the Abilene, KS show after this book was published. He was selling novelty telephones and copies of his book at the show.

BTW: The book is basically photos with caption descriptions. It is a nice photo reference.

Looks like it would be a good reference to have.  I don't collect them, but I come across them often in my travels.
- Mike Row
e

For sure, I don't collect them either, but when I came across that one I thought I can make some money off it.
I've been told that profit is not a dirty word.  :)

TelePlay

Butt, what's the story behind the King of Hearts? I know just a bit more than nothing about this novelty phone and was curious why they picked that card, of all things, to be on the number pad.

Right  now there are 6 for sale on eBay ranging in price from $20 to $125. Interesting in that the 3 that sold over the past two months all did so for under $20 including shipping. Wishful thinking by most of the sellers, I guess . . .

twocvbloke

Quote from: HarrySmith on August 11, 2015, 08:28:59 PMI guess 1985 is getting old enough to be "Vintage or Antique".

So I'm officially an antique now, considering I was born in 1985? ;D