"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Value of an Automatic Electric 34-A9

Started by Jack Ryan, April 27, 2016, 12:33:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Ryan

The AE 3 slot that was referred to here:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=16098.msg166747#msg166747

(http://www.ebay.com/itm/231921162262)

sold for US $1,425.00. Is that reasonable? What makes it valuable - is it comparatively rare?

Thanks
Jack

TelePlay

Others can comment on value but it is in remarkably good condition, seems to me to be complete and the keys and coin box are included. Others who know pay phones may discuss the phone itself.

These are all of the eBay photos for posterity.

rdelius

Paystations got upgraded through the years .this makes the older ones expensive..Note the bronze handset hook,type 38 handset and the metal and porcelain dial shroud.expensive parts to replace.I do wonder about the dial plate with dots instead of blank.I think dots were used on Leich equipment before the arrows were introduced on the earlier type 80 sets with the 2 piece dial

Jack Ryan

Thanks guys.

So is $1425 reasonable? What would the phone be worth at a telephone show?

I don't know enough about them to have recognised a bronze hook as significant but the phone does look good except for the dial and the instructions.

The instructions imply pay on answer (semi-postpay?) but Stan's comments say prepay. What does the relay of a semi-postpay payphone look like?

Jack

poplar1

Quote from: Jack Ryan on April 27, 2016, 07:45:09 PM

The instructions imply pay on answer (semi-postpay?) but Stan's comments say prepay. What does the relay of a semi-postpay payphone look like?

Jack

Here is one example of an AE semi-postpay relay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Coil-Relay-For-3-Slot-Antique-Payphone-Pay-Telephone-Phone-Part-/161972747233
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

Note the absence of springs on the AE semi-postpay relay. The shorting contacts on the top right are opened by the coins, so that the caller can hear and be heard.

The relay is reset when the caller hangs up. At that time the reversed polarity of the line,  that occurs when the called party answers, returns to normal polarity. The current flowing through the coil causes the relay to reset.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: poplar1 on April 27, 2016, 09:41:28 PM
Note the absence of springs on the AE semi-postpay relay. The shorting contacts on the top right are opened by the coins, so that the caller can hear and be heard.

The relay is reset when the caller hangs up. At that time the reversed polarity of the line,  that occurs when the called party answers, returns to normal polarity. The current flowing through the coil causes the relay to reset.

Thanks for that. It certainly looks large and robust enough to perform its function.

I assume that the coin holds the contact open for the duration of the call and the reversal (un-reversal) at call completion returns the relay to normal and releases the coin.

It seems that this type of payphone should work on any line that provides answer supervision in the form of a reversal. Do ATAs that perform a reversal have enough grunt to operate a semi-postpay payphone?

Jack

poplar1

Not exactly. The coins go directly into the vault. ("Do not pass go. Do not collect $200", to use a Monopoly game analogy.)  It's just that as they pass, they open the contacts that have been closed by the coil action. These contacts remain open for the rest of the call, and continue to stay open with the phone on hook, until on a subsequent call, the called party answers. They have to stay open so that calls to free numbers (such as operator or information) can be completed without coins.

poplar1

Jack Ryan

Thanks, that'll keep me out of mischief for a while. I got the Prepay one as well.

Jack

Jack Ryan

Perhaps no one knew but I asked: Do ATAs that perform a reversal have enough grunt to operate a semi-postpay payphone?

Thanks
Jack

rdelius

I doubt ATAs that do a reversal would work with the origional relays unless everything is perfect. The  transistor microswitch retrofit relay is more sensitve since it does not have a large relay to move

Payphone installer

I find the early Gray pay  telephones one of the most interesting of payphone subjects. Here is a Gray 34A 11 five cent payphone. This phone is Gray,it was made by Gray. These phones were also made by A/E after A/E bought Gray. The 34A9 that was on ebay was a A/E. One of the problems with the 34A 9 on ebay was the relay and the chute, I will get into that more in a minute. Here is a true 34A11 as it was pulled from service.

Payphone installer

Payphone installer

The 34A9 was a prepay set the 34A11 was a post pay set.