News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Quick mod of 212-G for use as home phone?

Started by dsk, January 22, 2017, 09:25:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsk

Will this be enough to just use the phone as a regular phone on a regular line?
Only one strap across the coin-activated switch?

dsk

Stan S

There's no need to put a short across the switch. Assuming the hopper is working properly the switch contacts are always closed. The contacts open momentarily as a coin passes through the hopper.

Stan S.

Number, please!

The reason dsk asked this is because he and I have been talking about my 212G that seems to work, all except the activation of the mouth piece (xmit) when a coin is dropped.  We are looking at ways to reverse the polarity, hoping that is the fix.  I am planing to use it as regular phone, but I don't want to disturb the innards.  It does not have and I don't need a ringer.  I think it is complete inside, but needs a good cleaning and a coin box, door, & locks.  I like the weathered patina, so I'm not going to restore it now, maybe later.
Stu

dsk

My idea was: Making that strap will make it to not be depending on polarity, you will get it working as a phone, and you may get the sounds when putting in coins no matter of polarity.  If used on a line not accepting rotary, a Dialgizmo or equal will work fine plugged in the phone jack. The momentary switch will not disturb anything who may be recognized as a pulse or whatever.

Edit:
Could probably just try it as it is.

poplar1

Are you connecting the phone to a 685A subset, or at least to a 425-type network?

Notice that the transmitter is always connected, regardless of polarity of the line or polarity of the phone.

Black                TR terminal                        R terminal in 685A subset
Transmitter---------------------O--------------------------o

Transmitter---------------------O--------------------------o
                     Red                   T terminal                         B terminal in subset
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

trainman

There is no reversing of polarity in a WE postpay. WHen the coin dropped, it momentarily opened the contact on the hopper, putting the resistor on the line. The CO saw the resistance, telling it that a coin had been deposited, and now there was no danger of the CO disconecting your call.

If you insist on dropping coins in the phone, then bridge the contact. on todays lines, opening up the contact may disconect your call

Number, please!

I have a 425 network installed in the same configuration. 

Coin drops during my tests have not disconnected me yet.  But I'll install a resistor bridge on the coin drop.

I've tried a good handset and cord, but that did not fix the silent Xmiter.
Stu

poplar1

In your photo, there doesn't appear to be a wire on the "R" terminal inside the phone. Do you have 5 wires between the 425 network and the phone?

If you could provide more photos, perhaps we can see if a wire is misplaced.

If you want to test a handset and network apart from the phone, you can temporarily connect the line (from the wall jack) to C and RR on the network, and the handset directly to the network: one white handset (receiver) wire to GN, other white (receiver) wire to R, red (transmitter) wire to B, and black (transmitter) wire to R.

Number, please!

The photo is not the one in question.  It was posted by dsk to show me exactly where he was talking about.

Unfortunately, I don't have a photo of my phone, but I am fairly confident of correct wiring.  The R terminal is connected to the 425 R terminal.

I'll try the temporary test from poplar 1 and post the results.

Thanks
Stu

poplar1

Quote from: Number, please! on January 22, 2017, 11:21:06 PM

Unfortunately, I don't have a photo of my phone, but I am fairly confident of correct wiring.  The R terminal is connected to the 425 R terminal.

R terminal in the phone connects to RR on network (not R)
TR terminal in phone connects to R on network

Number, please!

I was tired and I quickly posted last night before going to bed.  My 425 network is wired correctly. 

I have not yet tested the network directly as poplar 1 suggests.  I'll get around to that this evening (USA CST.)

Thank you!
Stu

Number, please!

I'm tired again tonight, but a little patience and attention to detail paid off.  The problem?  A rookie mistake, although I don't consider myself a rookie.

I should have verified ALL my connections and the continuity of the wiring paths that I had installed!!!!!  I did all that when I installed them, but the routing and tucking stress on my wire bundle (a 5 wire phone line) was enough to  break the copper where I had nicked it (rookie mistake) and of course it was hidden.  It was the 425 B to the phone T terminal.

Thanks for all the help!   
Stu

dsk

Congratulations of having a "working payphone"
Together CRPF is unbeatable  :)
dsk