News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

F3 handset

Started by unbeldi, April 17, 2015, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unbeldi

Does anyone have an idea how late Western Electric still made NEW F3 handsets?

Here is one made in March 1955.

There was a large number of different varieties of the F3.  I believe this one to be either a F3B or an F3S.  The button closes the transmitter circuit for push-to-talk functionality.

Handle: F3 BELL SYSTEM; solid core; receiver cup edge: 3-5, tiny: 14
Filter: 129F COND; I 55
TX: F1 3/55
cap: 1-55
RX: HA1 -3-55
cap: 11-54 (stamped in vermillion); 290- (small in center)
Cord: H4CE IV 62
Plug: 289B

HarrySmith

I will have to dig mine out and check some dates. I will get back to you.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Ktownphoneco

I don't know how long W.E. kept producing the F3's, but they were listed in Northern's T-9 Catalog as late as 1969.     The catalog shows about 12 sub-models.

Jeff Lamb

unbeldi

I know that the F3 was still used on the 331 telephone set until January 1971, when WECo switched to using G-type handsets for those boxes.

I found this on a 331A assembled in 1963, and the handset cord is time-appropriately marked as IV-62, so I know that they took the handset including elements from inventory and fitted a new handset cord and connector.

I do not believe that they actually manufactured new pieces that long, until 1971, rather that this is the time they ran out of existing stock, and switched to the G-types. Therefore I am wondering when the last ones were actually made.

andre_janew

What? Are you saying WE made such handsets after 1954 when the last 302 was made?  I thought that any F series handsets after 1954 were of the F4 variety. 

unbeldi

Quote from: andre_janew on April 18, 2015, 12:26:21 PM
What? Are you saying WE made such handsets after 1954 when the last 302 was made?  I thought that any F series handsets after 1954 were of the F4 variety.

Most likely they did indeed make several specialty handsets for some time.
Also, the 302s weren't the only equipment that used F1 types. The elevator/portal telephone, the 322, was still equipped with F1s well into the 1970s.

unbeldi

Here is the apparatus that my F3 belongs to.