News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Chesilvale TSLS Line Simulator -- seeking user manual

Started by GTC, August 15, 2016, 08:09:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTC

I've just taken delivery of a Chesilvale model TSLS (see image) and am seeking owner manual and/or any other pertinent  documentation.

TIA.

Victor Laszlo

Trivia question for all you great telephonic thinkers:

Why did they use ext 29 and ext 40 for the two test numbers?

First correct answer gets an "attaboy."

Second question:

What other manufacturer of a test line simulator used the same numbers?

rdelius

This uses each row and column on the old inductor capacitor tone pad

Weco355aman

Ext 29 and 40 will test the high and low group matrix of the touch tone pad. This is only a pass / fail test. if the touchtone pads'  frequency is off on either group you will have a failed test. When you press a key on the touchtone pad (mechanical)
type you operate 1 high group oscillator and 1 low group oscillator, to make a DTMF digit. Both oscillators must be with in a
set of frequency's, if either is off then the receiving equipment will not detect VALID digit and your call or test will fail.

I believe the BK and radio shack testers only provided a pass / fail. If you want a CORRECT and valid test you need a frequency meter to test each frequency. To test the high or low you need to press two key's on the same row at the same time, doing this will give you only 1 tone. Example 1,2,or 3   or 1,4,7,or * will be the other. You can find the frequency's listed on the internet.
1,2, or 3 should be 679 HZ and 1,4,7, or * Hz  should be 1209.  I use 1,2 and 1,4 This is the only way to Correctly adjust the Frequency's.
This is for the serious collectors with a higher level of savvy.   
Phil

GTC

Quote from: Victor Laszlo on August 15, 2016, 08:32:43 PM

Second question:

What other manufacturer of a test line simulator used the same numbers?

I note that Teltone Corp of the USA has a TLS series with a very similar front panel, including line 29 and line 40.

In fact I've found their TLS2 user manual of 1987 a pretty good substitute for the TSLS manual that I'm seeking. The Teltone TLS2 seems to have the same functionality as the Chesivale TSLS, apart from a metering pulse test function. The TSLS has a 50Hz/12KHz switch on the back for that.

I put my TSLS through its paces today. Happily all functions work, although the audio level between handsets appears to be a bit low. Not sure if that's the fault of the handsets or the TSLS. Next step is to put a long line between handsets and see how that goes.

Jim Stettler

FYI:
Stan S. Sells a TT pad "tuning fork" to dial-in the optimum frequency on  old TT pads.

Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.