News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Automatic Electric 80 Won't ring

Started by Dan, October 10, 2009, 09:39:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

Thanks gentlemen. Your knowledge blows me away. Bedtime now, We will continue this amazing journey tomorrow, same bat-time, same bat-.channel. I will do your recommendations, and see were it goes :D
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Phonesrfun

-Bill G

JorgeAmely

Jorge

Dan

Bill I tested the AE ringer per your instructions--no ring.

I tested the capacitor per Jorges instructions--the WE ringer rings true.

So now we know the capacitor works, while the  AE ringer doesnt.

Then I tested the Ae ringer per Jorges recommendations-no ring
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Phonesrfun

That's interesting, and I think you said that the ringer ohmed out at something like 4200 ohms, and that should be right on.  I will test my AE80 ringer and see what it comes out to.  Is there something maybe mechanically interfering with the movement of the pivot arm that allows the clapper to swing back and forth?  You might hook it back up again and see if while it is ringing if you can feel any vibration by holding or placing your finger on the clapper while the ringing current is going through its cycles.  As long as you don't touch the wires or the electrical contact points while it is ringing, you won't feel any shocks.  Even then, it will only be discomfort more than anything.  Kind of like touching an electric fence. 

I think you also verified that it is a straight line ringer early on.  A straight line ringer is exactly what you need.

At least you have narrowed it down to the ringer.

-Bill G

Phonesrfun

I just tested 2 of mine.  One was 4300 and the other was about 5000.  Anything from 3000 to 5000 will work, and having a value in that range tells us that your ringer is not shorted out, and not an open circuit.  In other words, the coils are just as they should be. so it almost begs the idea that the problem is mechanical.
-Bill G

Phonesrfun

I just looked at your photo of the ringer, and your ringer is one of the later straight line ringers that has a volume control knob,  A little white plastic thumb-wheel.  Make sure it is not set to full quieting.  It is made to dampen the movement of the pivot arm.

-Bill G

Dan

Thanks Bill, I cranked it up, no movement at all and no vibrating.

Dan

Bill is another mailing  trip to walla walla in order?

Phonesrfun

-Bill G

Dan

Would it be best to send the ringer only? Heck the capacitor weighs an ounce, I could throw that in...

Phonesrfun

-Bill G

JorgeAmely

Dan:

Does the clapper pivot nicely from bell to bell when you push it gently with your finger? As you move it gently, two tabs on the back of the ringer should alternate and move away/approach each coil as they pivot on a hinge.

Jorge

Dan

JorgeAmely

Dan: Can you try another mounting cord?

Jorge