News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Rotary Phones and Verizon Vios or Optimum Online.

Started by DarrenWGaransi, October 24, 2011, 08:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarrenWGaransi

Hello Everyone,

I'm on the cusp of ordering either Verizon Fios or Optimum Voice.  I haven't decided which one to go with yet.  I have currently have Cablevision Optimum Online and Verizon copper wires.  I have 4 rotary phones.  Will they still ring and will they still dial out?

Phonesrfun

It depends on which ATA (Analog Terminal Adaptor) they send to you.  I cannot keep track of who is using which ATA, so it's probably anyone's guess.  Their customer service centers probably don't even know.  You may just need to try it and see.

I use Vonage over my cable, and the ATA's Vonage use do support rotary dial phones and they supply enough ringing current to ring three or four legacy phones.

So, I guess it's anyone's guess.  Usually ringing won't be a problem on these ATA's, but pulse dialing sometimes is, because not all ATA's recognize rotary pulses.  If you do wind up with something that is brain dead and can't recognize rotary pulses, you can get a Rotatone converter from Old Phone Works.

You also might try to see if you can specify beforehand that the system needs to be able to support rotary dial phones.

-Bill G

liteamorn

My Comcast works great even though they say it doesn't support pulse dialing.