News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

3554 ISSUE

Started by HarrySmith, April 17, 2024, 07:34:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

Sorry, wrong colors. The ringer has red, black, gray & gray with red stripe.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

MMikeJBenN27

In the picture, I see Red, Black, Slate, and Slate/Red.  Connect Slate to K and Slate/Red to A, the Red to L2, and the Black to L1.  It should work.  If your house still has grounded ringing - our's does - you can connect the Black wire to GND it you want, but you will also have to connect the yellow line wire to GND, and will have to make sure your Ring and Tip wires are not reversed somewhere.  It won't work that way, as the red and black ringer wires will both be ground.

Mike

poplar1

Quote from: MMikeJBenN27 on April 18, 2024, 03:52:37 PMIn the picture, I see Red, Black, Slate, and Slate/Red.  Connect Slate to K and Slate/Red to A, the Red to L2, and the Black to L1.  It should work.

Agreed. Don't forget to move the slate (gray) hookswitch wire from A to L2.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

Harry, did you get the phone to ring without ring trip?

HarrySmith

I just got it back. Unfortunately I gave it to him before I saw your message about moving the hook switch wire. I am going to do that tonight. Thanks!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

poplar1

3554 with 2-wire ringer on the right.
3554 with 4-wire ringer has the ringer connected the same as in the NE 500/554 on the left, except that the black ringer wire should go to L1 rather than G.

If you leave the slate wire on A, with the 4-conductor ringer connected as in a 500, then when the phone is on-hook, L1 is connected to A through the hook switch contacts "a" and "b. "Thus, the 2650 ringer coil would be shorted whenever the phone is on-hook.