Main Menu

eBay 250686514544 #6 Dial with a Clear Cover

Started by Doug Rose, August 22, 2010, 07:24:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Anyone ever see a clear cover on a #6 dial? First for me.....Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

I don't remember for sure, but I think that the #6 dial which i took out of a late 1960s imitation European phone has a clear cover.

Larry

bingster

Is that NOS?  It's my understanding that they were all clear originally, but they yellow over time.
= DARRIN =

Doug Rose

Quote from: bingster on August 22, 2010, 08:03:18 PM
Is that NOS?  It's my understanding that they were all clear originally, but they yellow over time.
Darrin...I never knew that!....thanks....Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

I have seen the white ones that are opaque.  Of course the yellow ones, but I find it difficult to buy that they were once clear and then yellowed.  They seem to be so evenly colored.  But I don't really know.  I wonder if there are any photos around that were taken when the covers were new.  Doug, yours IS unique.  Is that a Western dial?

bingster

I think I read that in the in the article that was floating around a while back, about the introduction of the #6 dial.  It described the "clear" cover over the mechanism.  I took that to mean colorless clear, but I suppose it could have meant yellowy clear, I'm not sure.  Has anybody ever tried polishing or bleaching one to see if the yellowing comes off?
= DARRIN =