News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Curiosity on Mars

Started by TelePlay, August 06, 2012, 02:24:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Just watched NASA and JPL land a car sized 6 wheeled vehicle on Mars.

The first picture shows the shadow of Curiosity as it sits safely on the planets surface as the sun is setting.

They used a parachute and a rocket powered skycrane to gently land this one ton scientific platform on Mars.

Amazing work by real rocket scientists of all ages and both genders.

In the last picture for reference, the wheels are about 2 feet in diameter. Amazing feat.

From the NASA web site: "NASA's Curiosity rover has landed on Mars! Its descent-stage retrorockets fired, guiding it to the surface. Nylon cords lowered the rover to the ground in the "sky crane" maneuver. When the spacecraft sensed touchdown, the connecting cords were severed, and the descent stage flew out of the way. The time of day at the landing site is mid-afternoon -- about 3 p.m. local Mars time at Gale Crater. The time at JPL's mission control is about 10:31 p.m. Aug. 5 PDT (early morning EDT)."

McHeath

I'm impressed.  When I watched the demo video of how this was supposed to work I had serious doubts, 13,000 mph to 2mph in 7 minutes?  On Mars, where there is hardly any air?  And that hovering platform slowly lowering the rover on a cable?  Guess these people really are rocket scientists. 

DavePEI

The following is the first shot taken by Curiosity when it landed. NASA officials announced, "We are disappointed in the overall quality of the first photos. The source of the interference on the left hand side is unknown at this time", "We are currently running a full diagnostic check of the rover systems and cameras.".  Official DOD sources indicated late today in their press briefing that this is a reflection from a weather balloon or Martian swamp gas. :-\

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Greg G.

First photos from Mars:
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Doug Rose

Kidphone

DavePEI

Quote from: Brinybay on August 08, 2012, 01:32:09 PM
First photos from Mars:
Seems to be a multi-species world! And we didn't think there was any such thing as a Martian! I also didn't think there was a Photoshop on Mars!
C*NET 1-651-0001

TelePlay

Quote from: DavePEI on August 08, 2012, 05:58:31 AM
The following is the first shot taken by Curiosity when it landed. NASA officials announced, "We are disappointed in the overall quality of the first photos. The source of the interference on the left hand side is unknown at this time", "We are currently running a full diagnostic check of the rover systems and cameras.".  :-\

Dave

I really do love the sense of humor some have developed over time after staring inside of way too many phones. ;D

BTW, that white hill in the background is 3 miles high.

DavePEI

Quote from: TelePlay on August 08, 2012, 09:44:53 PM

I really do love the sense of humor some have developed over time after staring inside of way too many phones. ;D
The little guy is saying, "You landed right on my darn foot!" Ouch!
C*NET 1-651-0001

McHeath

If Marvin is there then Bugs Bunny can't be far behind.

Greg G.

Quote from: McHeath on August 09, 2012, 12:00:38 AM
If Marvin is there then Bugs Bunny can't be far behind.

And Daffy too!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

TelePlay

Quote from: DavePEI on August 08, 2012, 10:33:49 PM

The little guy is saying, "You landed right on my darn foot!" Ouch!

Nah, the little guy was just looking at Lisa Marie in character.

(REF: the Tim Burton campy movie "Mars Attacks"  - http://tinyurl.com/cdgzyrq)