"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Color Restoration - Pink 58 WE faded handset Cord

Started by Dan/Panther, June 20, 2009, 08:55:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

Jorge;
I lucked out with this one. I thought YOU came up with the peroxide formula. :o :o
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Phonesrfun

Dan/Panther:

Ah Ha!

When I go on line and look, Graingers has a huge and actually intimidating selection of items when I search for DYEKEM.

Is there a particular stock number for the red, and apparently there must be other colors.  I wonder what one would need to do to do turqoise, beige and other colors?

-Bill
-Bill G

Dan/Panther

Bill;
Here you go...
I updated the link, the other one was not working. If this link drops, search:

LAYOUT FLUID

http://tinyurl.com/cmzfk8g

D/P

McHeath

Dan/Panther

If I want to stay, I better get back to the lab... ::)
D/P

Dan

My first soft plastic phone was a pink 1958 WE500. The cords (handset and wall) were white from fade. After following Dan/P 's recipe, they are perfect PINK now ! Next I will fix my pink mushroom phone and white cord. This method works great!
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

JorgeAmely

I wonder if you can do this to plastic parts, such as lift, handset and caps.

Why not try the whole housing? Umm, I am thinking it will take a big amount of thinner (fire hazard).   ??? ???
Jorge

foots

With that much thinner you'd be high as a kite and probably wouldn't care less about a phone.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

Dan

The thinner made my wife gripe about the smell. I'll do it in the garage with a bucket next time and not the kitchen sink
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Jester

This was discussed on another thread, but the info seems more relevant here.  I picked up the stuff I ordered from Grainger's this afternoon.  I think both these will work fine for what I intend to do with them.
Stephen

Tonyrotary

Wow, just amazing results! Hey I wonder if it would work on bakelite? You know when you get a really worn F1 handset and you see the brown filler? Hmmm.

Dan/Panther

Quote from: Tonyrotary on September 06, 2009, 04:58:16 PM
Wow, just amazing results! Hey I wonder if it would work on bakelite? You know when you get a really worn F1 handset and you see the brown filler? Hmmm.

The problem with Bakelite, it's a closed end polymer, and nothing will penetrate on a permanent basis. You can coat the object, but like a paint, it will just wear off.
You can cover and polish Bakelite, but to permanently dye the brown, from what I've read will only surface coat it.
If you've ever used F-21 on Bakelite, it looks great, but in a day or so, it's back to where it was.
D/P

WesternElectricBen

That would be funny if you put it on another beige phone and someone took it apart and they are like, "its a pink cord!"

Ben

Dan/Panther

The Grainger link, didn't produce results anymore, so I updated the link. If it fails, search: LAYOUT FLUID.

D/P

New Link.....

http://tinyurl.com/cmzfk8g