News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My new Western Electric wood wall phone

Started by Russ Kirk, August 22, 2012, 05:27:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ Kirk

I picked this up at an antique store.  I consider it an excellent find.  It looks all original condition,  but I would gladly hear if anyone has a different opinion.  

The features that really piqued my interest is the glass "Whisper-It" mouthpiece dated 1916.  The second item is the OST receiver.  Looks like it has a coating,  it is not black like the others.  Original old cord,  but I do think is is shorter then normal. The phone has not been refinished and is darker that the other oak wood phones I have. Not sure of this is oak or another type of wood.  

I just need to get a clapper cover and bell nut.

I have read that some "whisper-it" mouthpieces have been reproduced.  Can anyone tell me if this a reproduction?

In my opinion not bad for only $167. I think the receiver and mouthpiece are worth that amount.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

LarryInMichigan

It looks like a beauty.  With a little bit of cleaning and polishing, the wood should look like new.  The receiver is most probably rubber.

Larry

wds

Wow, that's a nice one.  The receiver and mouthpiece are worth twice that amount.  great find.
Dave

AE_Collector

I have a couple of similar colored receivers though they aren't OST receivers. Not sure what they are made of. The wood on your phone is Oak and the phone looks to be complete and original. While a single box magneto phone isn't worth much more than that anymore, the fact that it is complete with the OST receiver and the glass mouthpiece makes it a great find (of the month)! (I've nominated it for you)

Looks like a 317 but with the OST receiver, maybe it is an older model? ANy indications on the wiring diagram?

Terry

Phonesrfun

Holy Cow, batman.  What a find!  Probably the early type with the wiring set in grooves in the wood backboard as opposed to having a wiring harness.
-Bill G

Doug Rose

Russ....sure is a beauty. Cord looks amazing as well. I have had bakelite receivers "fade" to a brown color. I think it looks great as is. Glass MP is a prize indeed! Wood will clean up wonderfully. If it was mine, I would strip the wood of any stain or varnish, then decide if it needs stain or just some clear Howard's restorafinish. I think you got a real bargain. You are a shoe in for find of the month. Great phone in what looks like untouched condition....Doug
Kidphone

HowardPgh

I think that phone would clean up really nice without taking off the patina.
Great find on the early 317, especially with the glass mouthpiece and OST receiver..
Howard
Howard

Doug Rose

Howard...I have heard the tarnish on metal called patina, but to me its tarnish or aging and spoils the metal.  Look at the back of the transmitter cup. I would remove the patina and make it shine. The wood has layers of varnish that cracks and darkens unevenly. Ground in dirt that has darkend it more in areas. If that's patina, I'd rather not have it. That is just my opinion. I love the old wood, its so hard you can't drive a screw into it. Once you get the sh*t off, it will look like new. Again, just my opinion. This guy is well over 100 years old, while looking good for its age, it can look fantastic.  A lot of collectors get the metal nickeled again, so I'm not sure that patina is good thing. I try to make my old phones look as close to new as possible without the fingerprint leaving mirror finishes that I am not a fan of. I just try to shine the metal up. As for the word patina, just another word for aging. As I approach another decade marker,  I guess I am getting a nice patina to me. New is nicer, again....only my opinion....Doug
Kidphone

HowardPgh

Doug,
Upon closer inspection-I agree with you.
Howard
Howard

dencins

My preference is make it like new with mirror finishes.  Just my choice.

Very good price for this phone.

Patina by definition is oxide.  On steel it is red (rust), copper is green, nickel is gray to black, etc.  On nickel it should not be the color I am seeing in the pics.  It may be the lighting but the back of the cup, banana tag on the transmitter, the handle on the crank, the center of the mouth piece, etc. look like the nickel plating has worn off and brass is showing.  I suspect these are areas of wear and the phone probably gave many years of good service.

Dennis Hallworth

Sargeguy

Wow!  That's the nicest example of a 317 I have ever seen.  What is the number on the transmitter?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Russ Kirk

Quote from: Sargeguy on September 01, 2012, 09:50:19 PM
Wow!  That's the nicest example of a 317 I have ever seen.  What is the number on the transmitter?

First,  my apologies for the late reply.  Between a 2 week vacation and being swamped at work I'm late on catching up on my messages.

The transmitter is not a numbered version,  it is a 250W.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Sargeguy

That's what I meant, although a numbered transmitter would have been nice, I think this phone is too late.  I am surprised to see the OST.  250w would have been typical for this model.  Are there any Bell System markings on the phone?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

poplar1

250W usually means not Bell System; 250 is Bell System. Other than the  possibly the receiver cap and  250 what other parts would indicate Bell System? It could have a recycled American Bell transmitter cup, but I don't know whether those were only reused on Bell phones or not.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.