News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Restoring a 233G that has some "issues" -- Been away for awhile and need some advice

Started by Shovelhead, December 04, 2017, 10:27:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trainman

you say you got a new coin relay. did you get the correct one?  Three slot relays have 4 terminals. Single slots have 2 terminals.

Shovelhead

Quote from: trainman on December 06, 2017, 05:59:04 AM
you say you got a new coin relay. did you get the correct one?  Three slot relays have 4 terminals. Single slots have 2 terminals.

Two wire, I was told that the one slot and three slot used the same relay........looks like I have a one slot relay to put on Ebay..........am I right?

Shovelhead

Quote from: Stan S on December 06, 2017, 01:21:27 AM
I deny all and demand a blood test!

OK, guilty.
Stan S.

So, I gotta start saving from my SS checks is what you're saying..........;)

Shovelhead

Sarcasm is my second language.........but now on a serious note.

Saying that I get this phone put back to BSP standards mechanically and cosmetically I'll get Stan's controller but I want to make sure this phone will work correctly first.

I'll appreciate any and all advice that I get here. Thanks in advance.

AE_Collector

By the way....It's good to see you back here again Shovelhead. Last seen here in first half of 2014. Glad you didn't forget about us!

Terry

RotarDad

Shovelhead - The two conductor relay will work fine for your 233G.  The other 2 contacts are for a dial short that was used to prevent people from gaining dial tone without a coin, and then making calls. (Someone else can explain how they got dial tone - something about shorting the handset with a paperclip).  Anyway the dial short contacts prevent the dial from being used until a coin is dropped to hit the hopper trigger.  The short is then opened and the dial will function.

For home use, this feature is irrelevant, and Stan's controller will work fine with just the 2 relay activation contacts.

Stan - please tear this post up if any info is wrong...... :)
Paul

Shovelhead

Quote from: AE_Collector on December 06, 2017, 11:44:58 PM
By the way....It's good to see you back here again Shovelhead. Last seen here in first half of 2014. Glad you didn't forget about us!

Terry

Yes, work, shoulder injury, subsequent surgery, got a call from my old part time supervisor at a Harley dealership to come back in prep for retirement from car dealership parts departments, trying to get stuff caught up here since first official day of retirement July 1st, birth of two grandsons, etc. Now you see "la vida loca". So now starting on things that need to be done, finish hot rodding a project car, inside painting/updating, still removing all vestiges of adult daughter and son in law living here for a year and a half..........and it goes on.

I lurked here and there but had nothing constructive to add at the time. I was still acquiring though, got my first one slot about that time. That's going into the garage next summer.

Shovelhead

Quote from: RotarDad on December 07, 2017, 12:03:33 AM
Shovelhead - The two conductor relay will work fine for your 233G.  The other 2 contacts are for a dial short that was used to prevent people from gaining dial tone without a coin, and then making calls. (Someone else can explain how they got dial tone - something about shorting the handset with a paperclip).  Anyway the dial short contacts prevent the dial from being used until a coin is dropped to hit the hopper trigger.  The short is then opened and the dial will function.

For home use, this feature is irrelevant, and Stan's controller will work fine with just the 2 relay activation contacts.

Stan - please tear this post up if any info is wrong...... :)

The wires are yellow and black, which wire goes to which terminal?

BTW, I had heard of the pin thru the handset wire trick, hence the armored cable. I had the ability to make calls for a penny. Drop it in the nickel slot, a hard chop to the coin release button correctly timed and as a result, dial tone.

My mother worked in a Bell public office. She said no way possible. I had to prove it to her with a lobby pay phone that it could be done. My misspent youth...........

Shovelhead

Quote from: Shovelhead on December 06, 2017, 10:13:51 PM

So, I gotta start saving from my SS checks is what you're saying..........;)

Or step up the roadside bottle collecting...........;)

Quote from: Shovelhead on December 07, 2017, 01:10:42 AM
Or step up the roadside bottle collecting...........;)

What's wrong with that? Other than the remnants left inside the bottles are a little iffy....  :o

Shovelhead

Quote from: Duffy on December 07, 2017, 06:13:06 AM
What's wrong with that? Other than the remnants left inside the bottles are a little iffy....  :o

Nothing at all, as a plus I'm saving the environment too.................

AE_Collector

As a kid I was big into supplementing my allowance by collecting bottles (cans were very few back then) for the refund. All the provinces and states that don't have deposit systems on bdverage containers must wind up with a lot more litter as well as easily recycled material going to land fill. British Columbia has had a deposit system as far back as I can remember, prior to the 1960's.

Terry

Quote from: AE_Collector on December 07, 2017, 10:21:57 AM
As a kid I was big into supplementing my allowance by collecting bottles (cans were very few back then) for the refund. All the provinces and states that don't have deposit systems on bdverage containers must wind up with a lot more litter as well as easily recycled material going to land fill. British Columbia has had a deposit system as far back as I can remember, prior to the 1960's.

Terry

Terry

You and I are of the same vintage and I did the same thing here in Ontario where there was a deposit system in place as well. I would collect pop bottles for the 2 cent deposit along my paper route. I didn't get an allowance, like some of you lucky ones.  ;)  The cans didn't have the deposits on them from what I remember.

And now back to our feature presentation.... :)

Stan S

So, getting back to restoring the 233G.

Paul is correct. Electrically you can use a single slot 1A coin relay that only has 2 terminals.
However, the problem with those coin relays is the 'T' shaped coin trigger.

It was designed to operate inside a single slot hopper. 3-slot hoppers have a different internal shape..
The coin trigger doesn't reach far enough toward the back of the hopper. Dimes will squeak by the trigger without pushing it down.
If you trim the arms of the 'T' and glue a small piece of plastic on the trigger it will work fine in a three slot.
You have to trim the arms because when the trigger is forced all the way down into the hopper it jams on the sides.
See attached below.
Stan S.

Shovelhead