News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Recent posts

Telephone Troubleshooting and Repair / Re: 3554 ISSUE
Last post by poplar1 - Today at 11:04:32 PM
Quote from: HarrySmith on Today at 03:01:56 PMI connected the ringer to the same terminals I removed the original from. I did not even look at the terminals. I just checked and it is on L1 & L2.
The line is connected red & black to L1 & E2 and 2 white wires to GN & R, what are they for?
Network A has a gray wire from the hookswitch and K is empty? Should I move the ringer to A & K?
I never even looked at the wiring since it worked on my Panasonic.
It appears this is a different animal than I am used to working on. I count 7 wires off the hookswitch.

If there is no wire on K, then the capacitor is not in the circuit. Apparently, you have the ringer connected directly to Tip and Ring. Thus,the phone may busy out the line -- called "Ring trip" -- even if it appears to work sometimes.

The reason for the slate ( or gray) hook switch conductor on A is that this wire has continuity to the yellow hookswitch wire (L2 for example)  when the phone is on-hook., So with a 2-wire ringer, one ringer wire connects to K and the other to the other side of the line (L1, for example).

Didn't you say the other 2 C4A ringer wires are connected together, but not on a terminal? If so, at least for a WE C4A, that is equivalent to a 2-wire C4B ringer

The confusion may be the poor choice of colors (Red, Slate-Red, Slate, and Black) for both a WE C4A ringer and a WE M1A (Princess) ringer or P1A Trimline ringer -- because they aren't internally the same.  In a WE 500,the 2 ringer coils are wired independent of each other, and one wire from each coil connects to A and K. Since the other wire from each coil connects to L1 and L2, this completes the ringer path in series with the capacitor.

The slate and Slate-Red leads on a M1A or P1A ringer are merely taps, and are not used on non-party lines.
Technical "Stuff" / Re: The end of POTS?
Last post by TelePlay - Today at 08:45:11 PM
Quote from: 5415551212 on Today at 08:16:41 PMYou'll hopefully get a decent speed boost on your internet.

The hassle was no internet for 24 hours, but they did respond to the outage quickly.

Yes, looking for a speed increase, to be followed by a monthly price increase in a year or so.

Guess that's why I keep finding the busted up pedestals along a major city street near my house. The copper pedestals will all be gone some day.
Quote from: LarryInMichigan on Today at 05:24:11 PMA likely culprit is a dirty hook switch, though it could be a bad wire in one of the cords, a bad solder connection on a PC board, or something else.  This is a modern Chinese product, much different than the vintage phones we like to fix here.

Thanks for your response! Yes, I do know this is not a substantial phone , but it has sentimental value to me, so I would like to make it work properly, if I can .

I will try cleaning the hook switch and opening up the telephone this weekend. Thank you
Last post by 5415551212 - Today at 08:16:41 PM
Quote from: TelePlay on Today at 04:37:10 PMSomeone could write a book: "101 Ways to Loose a POTS Line"

Here's one, how it happened to me.

AT&T is putting FO in everywhere in my city. AT&T marked their desired path through my back yard utility easement to horizontal bore in a FO conduit.

Underground marking company marked all underground phone, gas and power lines.

Marking was not perfect.

The underground directional boring bit ran into a 50 pair phone cable and as the cable was wrapped around the bit, it pulled the cable out of the pedestal about 4 feet from the bit.

That cable was running to another pedestal about 50 feet away. That pedestal provided copper grid phone service to some 20 homes, including mine.

Service guy came out and ran 8 fifty foot long patch cables to reconnect the pedestals, restored service.

Talked to the technician. He told me they will most likely give buried FO to every home affected at no charge (they are not going to replace the now dead 50 pair cable).

They will install a new FO pedestal, bury a FO cable to my house, install whatever is needed in my basement including a new WiFi/internet/phone modem.

After all is done, POTS won't even be an option for me. The copper grid will be gone from my homes point of view. Will no longer even have a choice to keep copper or switch to FO service.

Have had copper VOIP for 5 years now and my 616 continues to give me rotary dial out abilities. Just no more copper coming into my house since this horizontal boring incident.

Wow what a hassle.
You'll hopefully get a decent speed boost on your internet.
Does the crackling stop when you set the receiver down on a flat surface?

When the receiver is sitting on a flat surface, does the crackling appear when moving the coiled handset cord?

That's one way
to see if the cord or the handset is the issue.
A likely culprit is a dirty hook switch, though it could be a bad wire in one of the cords, a bad solder connection on a PC board, or something else.  This is a modern Chinese product, much different than the vintage phones we like to fix here.
The ringer on my WE 554 has been working great until today. It had been disconnected a few days so I could clean and detail the phone; I hooked it back up to my Ooma Telo today, called it from my cell phone, and now it won't ring. The only thing I've done to the phone in the last week is disassemble the receiver so I could polish it, but everything was hooked back up correctly, I have dial tone and can make calls - only the ringer has stopped working.

Here's a pic of the wiring inside the phone:

http s://fli c.kr/p/2pKSNxd

For what it's worth, the phone is running through a Dialgizmo to the Ooma Telo - haven't had any issues, although the Dialgizmo arrived damaged slightly a few weeks back and I had to fix it to get it working.
Last post by HarrySmith - Today at 04:50:22 PM
I do too. It is a cool looking phone in my opinion. I was thinking about adding one to my collection. I am not going to swap the network. I am going to hook the ringer to A & K and try it that way. Hopefully that will solve the issue. I will report back in a few days after he tries it out at home.
Last post by Contempra - Today at 04:46:24 PM
Well,I have a few ones like these phones and I love 'em .No problèm.
Last post by TelePlay - Today at 04:37:10 PM
Someone could write a book: "101 Ways to Loose a POTS Line"

Here's one, how it happened to me.

AT&T is putting FO in everywhere in my city. AT&T marked their desired path through my back yard utility easement to horizontal bore in a FO conduit.

Underground marking company marked all underground phone, gas and power lines.

Marking was not perfect.

The underground directional boring bit ran into a 50 pair phone cable and as the cable was wrapped around the bit, it pulled the cable out of the pedestal about 4 feet from the bit.

That cable was running to another pedestal about 50 feet away. That pedestal provided copper grid phone service to some 20 homes, including mine.

Service guy came out and ran 8 fifty foot long patch cables to reconnect the pedestals, restored service.

Talked to the technician. He told me they will most likely give buried FO to every home affected at no charge (they are not going to replace the now dead 50 pair cable).

They will install a new FO pedestal, bury a FO cable to my house, install whatever is needed in my basement including a new WiFi/internet/phone modem.

After all is done, POTS won't even be an option for me. The copper grid will be gone from my homes point of view. Will no longer even have a choice to keep copper or switch to FO service.

Have had copper VOIP for 5 years now and my 616 continues to give me rotary dial out abilities. Just no more copper coming into my house since this horizontal boring incident.