News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Got 11 phones today, one I need help identifying.

Started by Snake, February 25, 2012, 03:35:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snake

So I got a bunch of phones from a guy today, really nice guy, most of the phones are 500's, 2500's, 544's, a mickey mouse phone. But then there's this one Stromberg Carlson phone, and it has a kellogg handset. I have opened the phone up and it looks like it's missing alot? Or is it? The handset looks really nice, and I might have an idea to what it might go to. Thanks in advance for your help with the identification. ;D

Snake

I'm pretty sure that handset is to a kellogg red bar, and I think the base is missing alot  :-[

canuckphoneguy

First of all - how lucky are you to get 11 phones in 1 day!!  ;D

I'm no expert, but it does look to me that the inside is missing a lot - wires seem to not be where they should be.

AE_Collector

Since there is no dial, no ringer and no cords it looks pretty empty inside. Add any or all of the above and it is probably a complete phone. The only wires I see are the switch hook wires connected to the network.

Terry

G-Man

Most Likely this model does not contain network components and is intended for use with an existing, separate magneto/ringer box for magneto service.

It was a common practice for manufacturers to provide instruments of this nature so telcos could offer more modern-styled instruments so their subscribers would not feel their service was so antiquated.

Adam

Dudes!  That black box with the screw terminals IS a network, isn't it?

Or am I just looking at the picture wrong?

The phone just looks "empty" because it has no ringer, has no handset wired to it, and has no dial.

Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

HarrySmith

Agreed, there is a network. From what I can tell it appears to never had a ringer installed. With the dial blank and no hanset or line cord it does look fairly empty. The Kellogg handset does not belong. An SC handset should be easy to find or a WE G type will work.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Phonesrfun

It does have a network, although the lack of several screw terminals suggests that it could definitely be one that was meant to be used with a local battery subscriber set as suggested by G-Man.

It is a phone meant for manual service (no dial, and only a dial blank), and because there is no ringer, it may have been a desk set connected to a local battery (magneto) subset, or maybe the ringer was just plain robbed from the phone.

If there is a model code on the base, there may be a way to look up its options in the TCI document library.

The handset is a Kellogg handset, and is not original to the Stromberg Carlson phone at all.  It probably fits, and most definitely would work, but certainly is not original to the phone.  There were several models of Kellogg phones that particular handset was on; one of them being a "red-bar".

The Stromberg Carlson brand was not known as Stromberg And Carlson, but just by Stromberg Carlson.

PS  I see now there are some codes on the bottom that may be able to be found in the library.  The cork pad floating around in the bottom of the phone appears to be the bottom pad from an AE Starlight phone, which is a completely different phone from the SC.
-Bill G

stub

Here's the download for the  diagram-------     http://tinyurl.com/84rszol
                                                                                                                                   stub

Kenneth Stubblefield

Phonesrfun

That confirms it.  The "network" is just a connecting block.  This phone was designed for a LB subset. 
-Bill G

G-Man

Quote from: Adam on February 25, 2012, 09:51:21 PM

The phone just looks "empty" because it has no ringer, has no handset wired to it, and has no dial.

No, it is not a network.

A network consist of components such as capacitors, resistors, inductors, etc.

From what I can see in photographs, there are unpopulated holes were terminals are normally installed.   This indicates the plastic enclosure is most likely void of the aforementioned components.

As I mentioned in my previous response, this instrument was most likely used with a magneto/ringer subset which contained the required transmission components.

Again, this was not an uncommon practice by telcos and manufacturers.

G-Man

Quote from: G-Man on February 26, 2012, 01:26:46 AM
Quote from: Adam on February 25, 2012, 09:51:21 PM

No, it is not a network.

A network consist of components such as capacitors, resistors, inductors, etc.

From what I can see in photographs, there are unpopulated holes were terminals are normally installed.   This indicates the plastic enclosure is most likely void of the aforementioned components.

As I mentioned in my previous response, this instrument was most likely used with a magneto/ringer subset which contained the required transmission components.

Again, this was not an uncommon practice by telcos and manufacturers.

A clarification: While I stated it they were used with magneto subsets, when applicable, they were also used in common battery service as well.

Most any application where a desk stand needed to be replaced.

Vern P

From what I see this is a SC 1543 with balnk. marked 1444 on base. I don't know about the "net work", I will leave that to others

The hand set for the 1543 is kind of like a WE G, but the back is more square. early one were bakelit later were plastic.  Not a rare HS to find. Other then that, I agree with what has been said.

Vern P