News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1978 2 line NT Contempra

Started by ....., April 24, 2018, 10:11:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I picked up this 1978 NT 2 Line Contempra 2 weeks ago from fellow member Terry Biddlecombe. This was the first chance I have had to look at it.
It complements my 1971 Contempra Speaker Phone.

Thanks Terry.

paul-f

Interesting phone Doug (and Terry).

Did this version replace the one discussed here: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=9089.0

It would be interesting to see catalog entries for both types.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Quote from: paul-f on April 25, 2018, 01:05:11 AM
Interesting phone Doug (and Terry).

Did this version replace the one discussed here: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=9089.0

It would be interesting to see catalog entries for both types.

Another one to add to your list of Contempra's Paul.

Ktownphoneco

Very nice find Doug !!   I'm wondering if it goes beyond simply being a 2 line telephone.     According to both issues of my Bell Canada Station Installation & Repair Manual, a "QSQM2100A" is a "single line Contempra" with QDC1A1 Digitone dial, with a NE-D1QA ringer.     But neither manual list a "QSQM2100AX", which could place an entirely different spin on things.    All of the 2 line Contempra's listed in the previously mentioned manuals, have a line 1 or 2 selection switch located along the lower right hand sie of the set, directly behind the ringer volume switch, and which actually protrudes from the metal base.   
In another catalog issued to independents, the Contempra, model QSK2100AX, is designed for a key system, which in the case of your set Doug, could explain the 2 buttons that look like line buttons in a key system and with the hold button located below.   That would make more sense to me.

Jeff

paul-f

Quote from: Duffy on April 25, 2018, 06:58:59 AM
Another one to add to your list of Contempra's Paul.

Exactly, Doug.

Once we figure out what it is, I'll do that.

I have similar white rotary and brown tone sets, but haven't found any literature or had time to analyze them.

Both work fine as single line sets when connected via the red and green leads. Black and yellow don't seem to work for line two -- but power may be required for some switching logic.

I'm sure you'll let us know if you get farther with testing. Hopefully some one will come up with some technical or marketing literature that might explain the features, wiring and settings for the internal switches.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Jeff and Paul,

I really don't know anything about this phone, I only bought for display. Maybe Terry could enlighten us, since I got it from him.
I put in the display case with my other engineer preproduction, proof of concept test phones. It looks good in the line up with the speaker phone and the test sample Contempra. 

I will not likely ever hook it up.

poplar1

Are you sure that the 2-line parts were not added by a company named Crest?
They made 2-line adjuncts and also added 2-line feature to single line phones. These required a power supply that plugged into a grounded 120/VAC outlet.

Ebay item # 183180427637 in completed items
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Quote from: poplar1 on April 25, 2018, 07:06:06 PM
Are you sure that the 2-line parts were not added by a company named Crest?
They made 2-line adjuncts and also added 2-line feature to single line phones. These required a power supply that plugged into a grounded 120/VAC outlet.

Ebay item # 183180427637 in completed items

Can you post the link for above. My search brings up nothing.

After reading your reply I decided to have a closer look. Here is your answer.

poplar1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/183180427637

If searching by number in the title search, you have to check the box in bottom left to "show only completed items."

Your PCB is marked "Crest Industries Inc."
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

compubit

Now something clicked for me.  When you mentioned "Crest Industries", now i remember where those buttons looked familiar...

While working at McDonald's in the 83-85 timeframe,  we had a "Trimline" version with the same buttons in our managers office and drive thru. It had a SC tone handset with a slightly "taller" base, with the 2 line buttons + hold just below where the number card normally sat on a WE style Trimline. IIRC, the screws to hold the plastics together were on the underside (wall/desk) - the phone was convertible. I ended up with the phone after we got a new computer to replace the teletype-like terminal we used to feed data to corporate (being an electrical engineering major in college, I was the "go to" guy for anything electronic at the restaurant - faster and easier than calling the corporate support line), and the lines were dedicated 1 voice, 1 data.

And you needed the power supply for the line switching capabilities...

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

Quote from: poplar1 on April 25, 2018, 07:53:58 PM
Your PCB is marked "Crest Industries Inc."

Yes, I had seen that. I also noticed that it had been updated to the 2 line in 1983.
So that makes it an aftermarket upgraded phone. Good to know.