News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

vintage telephone, northern electric,hand set marked 1935

Started by Contempra, November 15, 2013, 09:31:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Contempra

saw on EBay today.. i've never seen one like this in Canada..

Condition:    Used :        Split the cost with friends
Seller Notes       :    "there is paint spatter on this phone, can be removed with cleaning."

For $5 + shipping, it's not expensive from my opinion.

Here's the link :  http://www.ebay.ca/itm/261327496520

LarryInMichigan

That is a Northern Electric Uniphone, made in Montréal, about as Canadian as phones come.  They were very common in various parts of Canada and also used by some independent telcos in the USA.  This is a No 5 which has no internal parts other than a hook switch.  It is supposed to be connected to a subset.  You would probably want a No 1 which contains the network and ringer.  It is electrically identical to a WE or NE 302.

Larry

DavePEI

Quote from: Contempra on November 15, 2013, 09:31:22 AM
saw on EBay today.. i've never seen one like this in Canada..
Denis:

They were very common in non-Bell areas of Canada, and particularly in the Maritimes and Prairies. That is a number 5 Uniphone, a desk stand. It, other than a switch hook, was empty inside, and used with a magneto subset on Magneto lines.

The #6 was the wall version of the #5.

There were also dial-less No. 1s made which looked externally the same, but which had a full network, bell, etc. inside. the wall version of the #1 was the #2.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Contempra

okay and I was talking with the seller and this is what he told me, there was a short wood box with a crank. It will be ringing all the phones.. I believe if I read the messages here

I told him  that my budget is exceeded but if he has the phone in 2 or 3 weeks, i'll probably buy the phone :)...

Thank you Dave and Larry ;)

DavePEI

Quote from: Contempra on November 15, 2013, 11:10:43 AM

I told him  that my budget is exceeded but if he has the phone in 2 or 3 weeks, i'll probably buy the phone :)...

That is actually a good price if it doesn't go up a lot, but the cost of the shipping does put it up also. Alas, I only have my display #5 and #6s or else I might have been able to help you out.

Yes, the wood boxes you mentioned are the subset. The magneto would ring the bells along the line by cranking it.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Contempra

It's correct Dave... If the price is not too high, yes probably. but I believe that the price of shipping is correct to $15. It remains a day. I await his response, but otherwise, I do not buy it.

thank you Dave

Denis.

LarryInMichigan

Denis,

Black NE Uniphones are not rare, especially in Canada, so with a bit of patience, you will find a good one for a good price.

Larry

wds

I'm confused - the seller is only asking $5, with less than a day left.  Unless someone runs up the price, this seems like a pretty good price even for a No. 5.
Dave

unbeldi

Quote from: wds on November 15, 2013, 01:38:18 PM
I'm confused - the seller is only asking $5, with less than a day left.  Unless someone runs up the price, this seems like a pretty good price even for a No. 5.

The starting bid doesn't mean anything, no sense in contemplating, a lot of auctions are priced in the last 15 seconds.
I have won auctions at $0.99 with free shipping, because the seller couldn't fathom that no-one would be bidding them up.

wds

I bought a phone yesterday for $3.75 because it ended in the middle of the day, and no one bid.  i thought maybe there was a question about $5 being too much for that Northern phone.
Dave

Contempra

okay Larry ;) thanks and yes i'm patient....

$20 or $25 with the shipping is a good price but with less than a day left, I don't know why.......

wds

I have 2 or 3 of those No. 5's - if this one goes for too much (which I doubt) I'll make you a good offer.
Dave

tallguy58

Isn't this identical to the North Electric Galion phone from Galion, Ohio?

Only difference is that the North one has vents at the back and a different handset.

Northern, top.....North bottom
Cheers........Bill

poplar1

No, this one pictured here is a North Electric phone with a Northern Electric handset.

I believe the 2 pictures from tallguy58 are both North phones; the top one is a North phone with AE dial and Northern or Western handset.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

tallguy58

The one Contempra is looking at is a Northern Electric phone and handset.  It's marked as such on the rear like this one

Cheers........Bill