News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Might Be A Blue 302 Underneath the Paint!!

Started by Doug Rose, November 15, 2011, 08:26:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I won this on eBay Friday with a buy it now. It looks like it might be a painted yellow (WHY!!!) Blue 302. The handset looks to be brown, but the shell sure looks to be blue! Why would someone paint it yellow. Was is WE, cord sure looks factory. I don't see any metal peeking out. I'll let you know....Doug
Kidphone

ESalter

It looks like bare metal to me, but I sure hope you're right about being blue!!!   ---Eric

Doug Rose

Quote from: ESalter on November 15, 2011, 10:33:12 AM
It looks like bare metal to me, but I sure hope you're right about being blue!!!   ---Eric
Eric....when I bought it I thought it was bare metal. The more I look, the more it looks blue. I hope I am right. Would that be a surprise!! Of course, I have no idea how to safely get paint off of thermoplastic in this large of an area....Doug
Kidphone

GG

Looks like a '38 base to me!

I think it's possible it's a metal housing too, but I'd be plenty happy to discover '38 parts under all that paint.  

Tom B

I have to agree with GG here, Doug. If it is a metal 38 302  you've scored. If its blue thermoplastic you've also scored providing you can successfully get the paint off ;)
Tom

Doug Rose

Tom...I thought it was an early metal 302 when I bought it. The more I looked the more blue it looked. I will be happy either way. A 4H dial wouldn't hurt....thanks...Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

It is metal! It was a a WE factory Ivory paint job. It was never black. Did WE make color phone this early?  It had been white, pink and yellow afterward. I think the yellow was put on with a paint brush! All over the feet and the dial! I am in the process of stripping the metal base. It looks new. Stamped H1 inside. Inside is painted Ivory, but up about 1/2 around the base. It is by far the best metal base I have ever stripped. Not a spot of corrosion and it shines like chrome. Finger wheel is a perfect match to the metal of the base. Paint comes off really easy, but only in layers or color. Base is 1/39 and the handset elements are 12/38. Dark.... dark brown, almost maroon handset. I have never seen one this dark. All in all a winner. Done for tonight, it's a school night.......Doug

http://tinyurl.com/bsofcnf
Kidphone

bingster

Quote from: Doug Rose on November 17, 2011, 07:27:53 PM
It is metal! It was a a WE factory Ivory paint job. It was never black. Did WE make color phone this early? 
Absolutely.  WE offered standard painted colors back in the 1920s on desk stands (candlesticks), then for all handset models after that.
= DARRIN =

Doug Rose

Quote from: bingster on November 17, 2011, 08:15:26 PM
Quote from: Doug Rose on November 17, 2011, 07:27:53 PM
It is metal! It was a a WE factory Ivory paint job. It was never black. Did WE make color phone this early?  
Absolutely.  WE offered standard painted colors back in the 1920s on desk stands (candlesticks), then for all handset models after that.
thanks Darrin....live and learn. I was amazed as I took off the paint and on the inside there was that 1/2 gap of no paint at all, all the way around. The metal is in just phenomenal shape, like it was made yesterday. I'll post some pictures on Saturday when I finish. I saved the vermilion H1 with vaseline. I don't think I have ever seen a metal shell that was not originally black. I am leaving the Ivory inside for proof for memory...Doug
Kidphone

liteamorn

I have to sharpen my eye !! I would have looked right past that phone. What a great treasure hidden by a bad paint job. Great find Doug! I can't wait to see how this phone turns out.

Doug Rose

Metal phones can be deceptive. Under the paint can be a great phone or sh*t hidden by the paint. Paint will protect metal as well as bakelite from the ravages of time. Someone really had a field day in art class with this beauty. This was a factory painted Ivory 302, never black. Whoa! Never seen one that was never black first. It has come out a pewter color, sort of a nickel (.5 piece) that is uncirculated. I am considering to leave it as is with all the paint removed. When looking at Painted F1 handsets, giving away trade secrets here, look for the grooves, or lack of grooves. This was grooveless so worst case scenario a brown bakelite F1. Best case would have been a black grooveless F1 that were made for a very short time in late '36 to early '37. It was a BIN and I thought it was metal, after closer inspection of the pics,I thought it might be a painted blue thermoplastic set or the never seen blue softplastic phone that came with a painted handset to match. This fit the bill with the painted brown handset, but, alas... it is metal. A real nice consolation prize indeed!....Doug
Kidphone

jsowers

Doug, leaving it bare metal with a brown thermoplastic handset might be a good way to show what's under the paint on these phones, if you ever conduct tours of your collection. It can always be repainted ivory later, since you left the color on the inside.

Somewhere I read that they used brown thermoplastic for these handsets because paint didn't adhere well to the black Bakelite. Later I think they had better paint, likely post-WWII. I have to wonder why they never made a solid brown phone, like the Mahogany Brown 500, out of the 302. Maybe they have and I just haven't seen one yet?
Jonathan

wbos

Quote from: Doug Rose on November 15, 2011, 10:44:29 AM
Eric....when I bought it I thought it was bare metal. The more I look, the more it looks blue. I hope I am right. Would that be a surprise!! Of course, I have no idea how to safely get paint off of thermoplastic in this large of an area....Doug

I've sucessfully used Easy-off oven claener to remove paint off plastic. Bill

Doug Rose

Quote from: jsowers on November 18, 2011, 02:50:04 PM
Doug, leaving it bare metal with a brown thermoplastic handset might be a good way to show what's under the paint on these phones, if you ever conduct tours of your collection. It can always be repainted ivory later, since you left the color on the inside.

Somewhere I read that they used brown thermoplastic for these handsets because paint didn't adhere well to the black Bakelite. Later I think they had better paint, likely post-WWII. I have to wonder why they never made a solid brown phone, like the Mahogany Brown 500, out of the 302. Maybe they have and I just haven't seen one yet?
Jonathan....agreed. I would have loved to see a Mahogany 302. Seeing it next to an Ivory set would be like chocolate/white chocolate. WE must have had their reasons....take care....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Quote from: wbos on November 18, 2011, 08:06:24 PM
Quote from: Doug Rose on November 15, 2011, 10:44:29 AM

I've sucessfully used Easy-off oven claener to remove paint off plastic. Bill
Bill.....Welcome to the Forum. I will remember to try that in the future. How long do you leave it on or do you know right away when it lifts off....thanks and welcome....Doug
Kidphone