News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How to Upload Photos to the Forum

Started by Mark Stevens, September 07, 2008, 10:32:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Stevens

This is a common question on most forums, and given that the software used here (Simple Machines Forum) handles images a bit differently than some common programs like vBulletin, I thought I better address the issue. It's deceptively simple, and doesn't require that you host your images on another server.  Services such as Photobucket can be used, but you can very easily upload photos right here.
Below the box where you compose your messages, you'll see Additional Options. Clicking that will reveal the word "Attach:", a white box where text can be entered, and a button that says "Browse". Click on Browse, navigate to where the image file resides on your computer, and a path leading to the file will appear in the box. If you click on Preview you will not see the image in your message...this is normal. The image will appear only after you've selected Post and view the message live. If more than one image is to be used, click on "more attachments" and an additional line will appear for you to repeat the procedure. Large images will be reduced in size a bit, but the larger version can be viewed by clicking on the smaller one. The maximum size of image that you can upload is a generous 1200x1200 pixels. Images will always appear at the bottom of your message, regardless of when or where you decide to enter the file name.

Dan/Panther

I would highly recommend that if you are going to upload photos, use our upload, not a link, as that way, the photo will ALWAYS remain with your post. If for some reason, say 5 years from now, Photobucket seizes to operate, all photos uploaded with links to Photobucket, or a like service will be lost to future reference. We would like this site to remain for future reference, maybe even after we are all gone, so let's keep the picture in tact also.
It's your chioce, and I've never seen an easier upload for a forum, than the one used here.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

JimH

Okay...I've got the photos....how do you include a link?
Jim H.

bingster

The easiest way is just to copy the URL out of the browser's address bar, and paste it in a message.
= DARRIN =

HobieSport

Is there any way to mix photos and text other than using links to an outside image source?
For example, I'd like to post a series of photos and captions with each photo.
I know I can do this within the Simple Machines forum with multiple posts, but it looks amateurish and strange on a thread with multiple posts in a row.

Mark Stevens

Quote from: HobieSport on December 02, 2008, 11:39:41 PM
Is there any way to mix photos and text other than using links to an outside image source?
For example, I'd like to post a series of photos and captions with each photo.
I know I can do this within the Simple Machines forum with multiple posts, but it looks amateurish and strange on a thread with multiple posts in a row.

Uhh.... I'm going to say no, at least not without my implementing some sort of add-on program.  I'll look into it, but I hate to get into using those hack programs, because they always seem to cause problems down the road. That's really the only gripe I have with SMF....the inability to post an image within the text.

Dennis Markham

With new members joining all the time I thought it was time I posted instructions for uploading photos.  Some folks have forum experience and don't need a hand but others may be joining a forum for the first time.

Adding photos to a topic reply, or when starting a new topic is really very simple.

When typing a post in the "Message" box, you will notice at the lower left corner of the box the words "Additional Options......"

Click Additional Options.  A browse button will appear.  From there you will be able to upload your photo.  Six photos are allowed per post.  To upload additional photos you will see (more attachments) next to the browse button.  To upload more than six, just make another post.  Other files can be uploaded in this manner as well.  Like PDF's, WAV files, etc.   When finished attaching your photos click the "Post" button at the bottom of the page.

You will also notice the Spell Check here if you would like to check the spelling of your posting.

The other boxes are self explanatory.  I have found it's nice to check the "return to this topic" box so one can see what they've posted.  If you go to your "Profile" and then click "Look and Layout Preferences" on the left column, you can check the box permanently so you don't have to do it with each posting.   While in this area you can also check the box that reads "Show most recent posts at the top" if you prefer to see your posts that way.

With regard to photos, it's nice if members can resize the photos so that they are not huge for uploading.  I believe the Forum software will reduce the photos to the maximum size, but making them smaller in size will help with bandwidth usage.

If anyone has any questions, as always you can contact me and I'll do my best to help.

~Dennis

Phonesrfun

I like the option of having the latest posts at the beginning of the thread.  For instance, the extremely long thread that still comes up is the "Now the Story can be Told" thread.  Having the most recent at the top sure made it a lot easier for me to wade through.
-Bill G

bwanna

bill, i show newest posts first also. sometimes people refer to a previous post as "above" for me it is below. :)
donna

Phonesrfun

Quote from: bwanna on May 12, 2010, 09:34:31 PM
bill, i show newest posts first also. sometimes people refer to a previous post as "above" for me it is below. :)

Yes, but I know what they mean.  I just get used to it.  :)
-Bill G

Dan/Panther

I will size, and arrange my photos ahead of time, and place them on my desktop. That way they are all together and easy to find.
Your photo editing program should have the ability to re-size or compress photos, you will not notice any clarity difference unless you enlarge the photo.
This forum is perhaps the easiest forum to upload photos to that I've ever encountered.
The only thing lacking is the ability to place photos in your posts where you want them with text under them. That would make the system perfect.
D/P

Greg G.

Most of the time I resize them down to 800X600, which usually 20% of the original size.  Sometimes I'll leave them a little larger, 25 or 33.33% if there's a reason the detail needs to be easy to see (like for old fogeys like me).  For those who don't have a graphics processor, I recommend an inexpensive one called LView Pro.  You can even find old versions for free.  I think Microsoft has graphics processor bundled in with Windows, but I never use it.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Dan/Panther

I use Photostacker pro, which I can't even find anything on Google about anymore, My copy is on a 3.5" floppy.
There is one almost the same format, with a lot more features, and it's on line free, it's called GIMP. I started to use it, but miss Photostacker, and ended up installing a 3.5" drive in my computer to load it in.
D/P

Nick in Manitou

I am new around here, so I might have easily missed something obvious, but I couldn't figure out how to include a photo in a PM.

Is there a way to do that? 

Thanks,
Nick

AE_Collector

If there is a way Nick, I haven't figured it out either! I don't think that you can.

Terry