News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Hagenuk Kiel W48 (Old German Phone)

Started by LM Ericsson, February 17, 2011, 03:34:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM Ericsson

A member of my foreign telephone collection I forgot to mention. Its a Hagenuk Kiel  model W48 which was built in 1952. This is my oldest German telephone. I bought this last summer on ebay for a good price. It came in the mail in perfect condition except for the long chip in the corner which was already there. It does have a beauiful ring to it. I am still working on it to be able to call out since it never had a plug on it. It does now have a plug on it (four prong) I also cleaned up the dial nicely which has a nice sound to it.
Regards,
-Grayson

dsk

The W48 design is nice.
The ringer on theese phones ar normally 2 coils of 300 ohms. (total 600) but other versions exists.
The Germans has only 60V ringing, the most other countries use 90V. This may cause a High REN no.  (guess: 2-3 REN)
If you are using it together with other phones it may be an idea to put in a restor in series with the ringer. (3300 ohms)  unfortunately this has to be soldered in directly on one the wires to the ringer. So dont do it if you dont need it.
This phone has no anti tinkling device, and may give you a signal when others are offhook. :)

Nice phone! 
dsk

dsk

I just measured my W.E. 500. And My siemens with 1microfarad cap, and 600 ohms ringer. to compaire.

At 75V 25Hz The 500 used 8 milliamps. (The 500 is deemed to be 1 REN) calculated 0.8 REN.
The Siemens used 20.5 milliamps or about 2.6 times the 500. So it has to be somthing between 2.6 and 1.9 REN.
(I have to measure my 2500 1 REN set too)  6.3 ma Which makes the REN for the German telphone even worse: 1.9-3.25 REN

dsk

GG

Nice one there!  The German Post Office had a number of manufacturers producing phones for them in the post-WW2 era.  Hagenuk is one of the smaller manufacturers, so they are more rare than e.g. Siemens.

Another way to deal with the ringer impedance issue is by adding a capacitor in series, which will effectively drop the capacitance associated with the ringer.  Yes it's kinda' a cheesy way to do it, but nonetheless it seems to work. 

In most European sets there is a schematic pasted inside, which you should be able to read to determine how the ringer is wired, and it is highly likely there'll be terminals where you can add resistors etc. without having to de-solder any wires from components.  De-soldering wires from a ringer coil is a dicey operation given that the same lugs are used to solder the fine wires from the bell coils.  So I wouldn't make the mod at that location, I'd do it elsewhere in the circuit, for instance the capacitor or the main terminal strip. 

Re. the damage to the front: I'd suggest using PC-7 which is a 2-part putty-like epoxy that hardens pretty solid and is a dark gray color.  Then some careful hand-painting of the repaired area and hand buffing when the paint dries & hardens, could restore it to where the repair is not noticeable. 

dsk

Hi. Just scanned my W48 digram, and one from a mil. Hagenuk wall telephone putted into service  in 1982.  (When I served)

The principles and the terminals are quite equal.

The W48 was approved as on the diagram, and later changes was small.
I believe the terminals are standard. Germans are very standardized  ;D

dsk

LM Ericsson

Was T&N a smaller group also? I just bought one on ebay made by T&N.
Regards,
-Grayson

migette

These phones are really distinctive, I think they were only made in white or black and can be seen on the German eBay where they appear to be plentiful. My example was the white one and made by Krone who went on to develop the solderless connector (bifurcated) where the wire is pushed using a special tool into a V shaped tag which cuts into the wire and makes a near perfect connection. I have been lucky no bell tinkle,therefore no mods, works perfectly well. I have got the early metal version, no escapes me but pre war, only prob is the capacitor has broken down and incoming calls are ring tripped. This problem can be overcome by cap change,it appears to be a common fault on these older sets, same prob with my Russian one. Hope this helps   Peter

migette

Just remembered the old metal pre war phone is made by S and T  any info on this firm its  S and T not confused with S and H thanks   Peter

TelePlay

Is this phone worth the $34 plus $14 in shipping asked by the seller?

Russ Kirk

For $48 it is worth taking a shot.  I've been burned a few times,  but I have also got some nice sets real cheap.   Go for it!!
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

LM Ericsson

Sounds like a steal! I got mine for $15.
Regards,
-Grayson

GG

I was looking at that one, and then I thought, I already have one of those, someone else around here probably doesn't, they're pretty rare, and the price is affordable.  So yeah, go for it.

TelePlay

Thanks for the help and encouragement. I'll post photos and info about it once it arrives. The seller didn't provide much more than the front view photos.

This will be my first foreign phone (from across the pond) so I'm glad there is data about the phone on the forum.

TelePlay

Quote from: GG on October 16, 2011, 01:09:00 AM

I was looking at that one, and then I thought, I already have one of those, someone else around here probably doesn't, they're pretty rare, and the price is affordable.  So yeah, go for it.

The phone arrived today and it came as a project. The seller wrapped the handset separate from the base. The seller wrapped the base so tight that the cradle was pressed down. The base was then put in a box that was too shallow - the clearance between the base and the top and bottom of the box was none, zero, zip, nada. During shipment, the box must have taken a blow and one half of the cradle was broken off. One of the ears is gone - broke right in the middle above the plunger.

Also has a rattle within the phone base but was too depressed to open it up, or take pictures. Also, the right side of the base at the bottom has a small pea sized chip out of it. The transmitter cup has an inch long crack. The handset cloth cord is in bad shape and the line cord does not exist.

As soon as I get over the anger I have over the stupid packaging, and I did ask him to pack it well to prevent damage, I'll open it up and start to research base repairs.

On the bright side, the dial turns well.

Seems to be from 1960, dates on both the transmitter and receiver elements.

I'll keep the phone - needed a winter project.

LarryInMichigan

John,

You have my deepest sympathies.  I often hold my breath when I open a package, and I have had a few serious disappointments.  I always ask sellers to pad the phone (or whatever I bought) with enough padding so that it cannot move around and no weight from other boxes will rest on it.  I also ask them to wrap the handset separately and keep it from rubbing or bumping the phone.  In your case, the phone was probably crushed by the weight of other packages stacked on top of it.

You should ask the seller to refund a good portion of the purchase price since you did not purchase a broken phone, but that was what you were given.

Larry