"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 354 Refurb

Started by winkydink, January 27, 2009, 05:01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winkydink

Quote from: Dennis Markham on January 29, 2009, 08:00:11 PM
I just use Novus2 and a lot of rubbing to remove the paint speckles.  It takes a good bit of rubbing to get some friction/heat.  It seems to help remove them.  Don't press too hard on the plastic while you're doing it...you will crack it.  Been there, done that---not fun.  On the sides, while pressing on the outside I like to put opposite pressure from inside.  I know some guys that mount the phone, usually a desk phone on an old base while buffing.

Well I have done my first go round with hand polishing the shell and after about an hours worth of work and some elbow grease, the paint specks are all finally gone.  The shell cleaned up nicely, there are a few nicks that I will probably wet sand but I am overall pleased with the results for the first go round.

After I wet sand it, I will hand polish again and then buff it up with the Ryobi hand buffer.

The hook/cradle for the handset however is metal with black paint.  There has been some paint loss through use.  I clean this up using novus 2, and the results are shown below.  I know that there have been discussion regarding spray paint and baking metal parts (finger wheels etc) at 200 or 250.  I am not sure I am up to it and I know that I will not be allowed to use the stove for baking.  Is there anything that I can easily do to make the cradle look nicer, or do people just shine them up and leave the flaws in the paint ?

No much work today on the phone being Super Bowl Sunday and all.

WD

TIPandRING

Lookin' good WD 8)

I prefer Brasso myself, but they changed the formula so I had to locate the old formula in the old metal cans--that is fantastic for polishing.

There are 2 things you can do on the cradle.

The halfassed way (but quick) is to polish it like you did, and then to cover the bare spots is to get a Sharpie black permanent marker and carefully blend it in. A couple coats and it will be hard to notice.

The proper way is to to repaint it. I prefer some of the Krylon types. I used a semi-gloss black to repaint my 302's finger grab area (right below the hook switch--you know that little cove where you stick your fingers to pick it up). It looks very close to factory.

bingster

Quote from: TIPandRING on February 01, 2009, 02:32:02 PM
Lookin' good WD 8)The halfassed way (but quick) is to polish it like you did, and then to cover the bare spots is to get a Sharpie black permanent marker and carefully blend it in. A couple coats and it will be hard to notice.

I thought I was the only one who did that!

That cradle looks much better than most I've seen.  Mine's far more dinged up, and I just left it as it is.
= DARRIN =

winkydink

Hi all,

I purchased 3 F1 handsets on ebay and just received them in the mail today.  A couple are pretty dirty (with actual dirt on the outside and inside of one of them).  they are the hollow handle type.

I would like to wash them, but I need to remove the wires and the contacts.  How do I get the wires back through the hollow opening after it is dry (pipe cleaner ?)  any hints would be appreciated.

Thanks

-WD

BDM

Quote from: winkydink on February 06, 2009, 11:04:43 PM
Hi all,

I purchased 3 F1 handsets on ebay and just received them in the mail today.  A couple are pretty dirty (with actual dirt on the outside and inside of one of them).  they are the hollow handle type.

I would like to wash them, but I need to remove the wires and the contacts.  How do I get the wires back through the hollow opening after it is dry (pipe cleaner ?)  any hints would be appreciated.

Thanks

-WD

Maybe someone has an easier way, but I just wick them through. You might have to twist and turn, but they'll go.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

benhutcherson

In my experience with that type of F-1 handset, the wires are stiff enough that they can be threaded through with no problem. I've never needed any tricks to get them through, at least.

If you can't, though, I imagine that the trick I use with G series handsets would work here. Take a piece of 22 gauge solid wire long enough to fit all the way through the handset, and thread it through from the top to the bottom. Then, wrap this wire around the wires you want to bring through. You can then pull the stiff solid wire all the way back through.

The only caution I have to offer is to make sure you get the top contacts back in correctly-don't mix them up. Otherwise, the receiver won't work, and it can be the worst thing to try and track down.