News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AECo Bakelite Era Phones - Manufacture Date Discussions

Started by HobieSport, October 27, 2008, 04:02:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Good timing on this question.  A lady friend was admiring my AE40, and I cannot find the manufacture date on it anywhere.  Where did they usually put it?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

AE_Collector

Quote from: Brinybay on January 11, 2011, 04:56:29 AM
Good timing on this question.  A lady friend was admiring my AE40, and I cannot find the manufacture date on it anywhere.  Where did they usually put it?

They didn't. You are on your own trying to figure it out. Back then BC Telephone inspected all the phones in our shops when they arrived from the manufacturer and we placed a dated sticker on the bottom. The only problem is that of course they got a new dated sticker when they came back in for rehab and redeployment. I have seen some of these phones on ebaY a long way from British Columbia. The sticker has "Canadian (BC) Telephones & Supplies" on it. That is the company I began my career in the telephone business with (CT&S). CT&S was the company that installed all of BC Tel's switching equipment in the CO's as well as being the "middleman" supplier of all materials to BC Tel.

One thing I would like to do one day is open up a bunch of 40's & 50's to determine when they changed from fabric to plastric wiring inside to help narrow manufacture dates down.

Terry

Greg G.

Quote from: ae_collector on January 11, 2011, 10:55:08 AM
Quote from: Brinybay on January 11, 2011, 04:56:29 AM
Good timing on this question.  A lady friend was admiring my AE40, and I cannot find the manufacture date on it anywhere.  Where did they usually put it?

They didn't. You are on your own trying to figure it out. Terry

I'll quit looking for it then.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

AE_Collector

Quote from: Brinybay on January 11, 2011, 05:19:40 PM
I'll quit looking for it then.

Yeah, give up looking while you're still ahead"! I REALLY wish AE had been more like WECo and NECo as far as dating things goes.

They did get around to dating most of the 80's and 90's era phones in one way or another but only the base plate of the phones.

Terry

HobieSport

Yep, it's always bothered my that AE didn't put dates on the components for the AE 40s and 50s. It's just that it takes some of the fun out of them. I just love reading dates on phones and figuring out what was going on in the world "in those days..."

Thanks for the general manufacturing dates though. So do we concur circa 1939 to 1956? And it's nice to know any other date-identification clues (dates on circuit labels, plastic vs cloth covered wires, etc..)

-Matt
-Matt

JorgeAmely

Quote from: ae_collector on January 10, 2011, 10:54:22 PM
...  He "recovered" them (turned them in rather than taking things home like I do) because they didn't have dials. CRAP....
Terry

With the sole purpose of preserving telephone history, of course.  ;D ;D ;D

Jorge

AE_Collector

Quote from: JorgeAmely on January 11, 2011, 08:03:03 PM
With the sole purpose of preserving telephone history, of course.  ;D ;D ;D

Someone has to do it! And it sure isn't the company I work for. There is no "past" as far as they are concerned.

Terry

JorgeAmely

Terry:

I hope you don't take me seriously. I just love your candidness.
Jorge

AE_Collector

Of course not. I just get serious when I think of how many times I have tried to get them to have some sort of display relating to the companies first 100 years but there just isn't any interest at all.

So I'll have to do it myself.  ::)

Terry

rdelius

I have seen the US navy version of the type 40 (type a?) with mid 1970s dates . The dials were a cross between the brass type 24 with some of the late plastic parts like the type 80e sets.Bought some NOS type 41 handsets that were late 70s-early 80s also
Robby

pdemming

Like I said my circuit diagram sheet glued to the inside bottom was dated. Also there is a remnant of a sticker that says Ontario, Canada. Guess it swam across Lake Erie to get here. ;D

LarryInMichigan

My AE50 was made by Phillips Electrical Works in Brockville, ON.  Production there ended in 1954, so any phone which was made there cannot be any later than 1954.  My phone probably crossed the Detroit or St Clair river :)

Larry

AE_Collector

Quote from: pdemming on January 12, 2011, 04:08:05 PM
Like I said my circuit diagram sheet glued to the inside bottom was dated. Also there is a remnant of a sticker that says Ontario, Canada. Guess it swam across Lake Erie to get here. ;D

Must be "AE Canada" or maybe even "Philips Electrical Works", both from Brockville Ontario. AE built a plant in 1953 or 1954 at Brockville and took over manufacturing AE equipment from Philips at that time.

So production at Philips ended in 53/54 but not necesarily the end of production of the AE40 in Canada. Philips stayed in business producing wire and cable as they always had done.

Don't know if your question about chrome banded caps ever got answered properly. You just need to find the caps WITH bands and replace the caps that are on your phone. The actual bands can't be put onto your existing caps unless you are real good with a lathe.

Terry

recrum

Just adding more info to the mix to help with dating the 40's.  Maybe the experts have an idea which one is newer.

https://picasaweb.google.com/103615949723585341984/AEType40?authuser=0&feat=directlink ( dead link 03-11-21 )

AE_Collector

Ah, one with routed grooves in the caps. Any chance you can do my AE codes survey to add the statistics to my data base. One day I hope to be able to decipher more of the codes on the base/back of these AE phones and possibly be able to narrow down the dates that any particular model was made.

AE Code Survey Thread:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=5514.msg67058#msg67058

Terry